Please Help!! What do I do? CAR ACCIDENT ****ADVICE/HELP****

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiecrazy1212, Apr 24, 2009.

1. silkiecrazy1212

silkiecrazy1212 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    I will start by telling you why I am posting.
    I was recently in a car crash. I am *edited out age* with a school permit.

Heres what happened:

I was bringing a friend home from a school activity (which was my first mistake, because I wasnt between school and home AND I had a passenger in the vehicle. Both big No No's.) While we were driving down the road a deer jumped out, and my first instinct was to swerve. In an attempt to restraighten out I turned the other way. During all of this the truck tipped over on its side. It was a very slow crash, as the windows didnt break, nor did the airbags deploy. Even so, the truck was totalled.

That is all taken care of now BUT I have to go to court on May 20th. I would like to know what is going to happen. Is there any judges or Police/Sheriffs on the forum that could tell me what I could expect?

I have good grades and a good attitude, but I realized that one little mistake could change my future hugely. I dont mind any fines they throw at me, but I hope that they wont change my future licensing, as I have more than learned my lesson.

I hear about it constantly, the harmless jokes... Noone realizes just how much they affect me. It is all I can think about.

Please help me know what to expect, and anything I can do to help my case look better.

I know my problem is boring, but it is having a huge effect on my life.
    I am a guy and almost never cry.. I just want to curl up and die...
    Please help me.

Josh

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    1) What are you charged with?

2) Was anyone hurt?

3) Were any other vehicles involved?

4) Truck insured and all that good stuff?

I thought you had to be 15 to have a permit anywhere!

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    im sure you will be ok. just go in with a respectful attitude and be ready and willing to pay for the damages and fines through community services, or volunteer work, or whatever it is they ask of you. they will take into consideration that you are a kid, and kids make mistakes, etc.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Josh,

We all make mistakes. There is only One Perfect Being.

Here in AZ you've got to have a permit before you can even start training with an adult.... and you have to be 15 years and 7 months before that can happen.

Go face the music.

Tell the judge that you messed up, you made a bad decision.

Were either of you hurt?

Let the judge know what you plan on doing in the future.

Good luck.

5. silkiecrazy1212

Apr 24, 2009
    preppy*hippie*chick :

1) What are you charged with?

2) Was anyone hurt?

3) Were any other vehicles involved?

4) Truck insured and all that good stuff?

I thought you had to be 15 to have a permit anywhere!

Not even a scratch.

No other vehicles around or at all involved.

Gravel Road (So it didnt cause a traffic jam or anything)

Truck insured, lisence present, and the insurance covered everything cept the $500. deductable I believe.

I talked to my dad about it and he believes it wouldnt have tipped if it hadnt had a low tire. Of course we have no proof that it had one, but we had been having problems with one.​

6. silkiecrazy1212

Apr 24, 2009
    Quote:In Nebraska you can get a school learners permit when you turn 14, and after 50 hours driving time with an adult you can apply for a school permit.

7. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Take a deep breath and it should be ok. You have a clean record, no one was hurt. Let them know you know what was wrong with the situation and that you've learned from the experience. It should be just fine. Court can be intimidating, but it sounds like you should be just fine.

8. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I think that you'll be fine. They may be trying to scare you a bit, but you seem quite articulate which is a big point in your favor. I think the worst that could happen is that you won't be allowed to drive for a while. Personally I think 14 is too young anyway. Good luck!

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Admitting that you were wrong is the first step. You know that you weren't supposed to be driving where you were & with a passenger.

Be honest with the judge and tell him/her that you messed up. Don't tell the judge that you've learned from your mistake, rather explain WHAT you learned from it (I won't tell you what you learned - that yours to figure out). Explain not that it won't happen again but WHY it won't happen again.

A judge wants to know why you won't do this again, and it's your job to demonstrate that you understand how & why it happened. It's part of being an adult.

10. silkiecrazy1212

Apr 24, 2009
    Well I was charged for CARELESS DRIVING and VIOLATION OF SCHOOL PERMIT.

I completely understand the violation of school permit charge, but dont get the careless driving one. I wasnt speeding, I didnt void any traffic signs, and I was paying attention. I dont see what is careless about that...
    Any Ideas?

My parents said if they were in that situation the sheriff wouldnt have charged them for careless driving.

The only thing I can think of that is careless is not being between school and home. The HUGE problem I see with that is that I have already been charged with that (Violation of school permit.) Any thoughts?

What are some good ways to defend myself on hte careless driving charge?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by