Please help......WHAT is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenbo50, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jenbo50

jenbo50 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Hi there

This is a 17 week old chicken i got in a mixed batch of 5 week old chicks.

3 were defo cockerels and have been rehomed. last week. I have one i know is a girl and then this one here is baffling me.

It is massive and has big feet and comb although no spurs.

However.....it is very, very quiet, It fact the only noise it makes is a soft clucking. It is very docile and does not act like the other boys did - no strutting,
    [​IMG]

crowing etc. Is there any chance it could be a girl or do you think this is defo a boy?

If so it has to go as I live in the suburbs.....

Thanks x

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    It does not have the shape of most roos ive seen. and looking at the tail feathers i think its a she...

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hmm. I think it looks more like a rooster, although I would expect its comb to be bigger at 17 weeks. The feathers on its neck do look a little boyish. Would it be possible for you to post a close-up?

4. jenbo50

Jul 19, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple of extra shots taken on the same day........???? xxx

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Sorry, but i think that's a roo!

6. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking roo, as well. Hackle (neck) feathers look pointed and tail feathers look like they're starting to flow downward. Thick legs are also a roo trait.
    A close-up of the face/neck including hackle feathers and another of the tail/saddle (just before the tail) would be helpful.

7. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    roo for sure, breed is a real ?

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    You may have to wait for a crow or an egg on this one. Although it looks like a roo...pointy hackle feathers...there are no real saddle feathers to speak of. At 17 weeks, they should be long and pointy. Are the feathers on the neck actually pointy or is it an optical allusion with the coloring?

9. jenbo50

Jul 19, 2012
    They are no where near as pointy as they look. The black/dark brown lines of colour go to a point but the end of the feathers are not sharp. Just been out and looked for spur points/ signs and still nothing (this was taken last week - is now a week older)

The reason I am wondering is that it makes the same noise as the hens?? Also I am struggling to introduce a new little hen and one of the others (not this one) is really going at it when i try to put her in the pen. I thought a rooster might have stepped in and sorted it out a bit? As it is this bird heads off out of it and eats instead of joining in or sorting it out?? Just doesn't remind me of the other 3 roosters we had at this age....they were all crowing and strutting and looking beautiful already??? xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by