Please help......WHAT is this?

jenbo50

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Hi there

This is a 17 week old chicken i got in a mixed batch of 5 week old chicks.

3 were defo cockerels and have been rehomed. last week. I have one i know is a girl and then this one here is baffling me.

It is massive and has big feet and comb although no spurs.

However.....it is very, very quiet, It fact the only noise it makes is a soft clucking. It is very docile and does not act like the other boys did - no strutting,

crowing etc. Is there any chance it could be a girl or do you think this is defo a boy?

If so it has to go as I live in the suburbs.....

Thanks x

Hmm. I think it looks more like a rooster, although I would expect its comb to be bigger at 17 weeks. The feathers on its neck do look a little boyish. Would it be possible for you to post a close-up?

Here are a couple of extra shots taken on the same day........???? xxx

I'm thinking roo, as well. Hackle (neck) feathers look pointed and tail feathers look like they're starting to flow downward. Thick legs are also a roo trait.
A close-up of the face/neck including hackle feathers and another of the tail/saddle (just before the tail) would be helpful.

You may have to wait for a crow or an egg on this one. Although it looks like a roo...pointy hackle feathers...there are no real saddle feathers to speak of. At 17 weeks, they should be long and pointy. Are the feathers on the neck actually pointy or is it an optical allusion with the coloring?

They are no where near as pointy as they look. The black/dark brown lines of colour go to a point but the end of the feathers are not sharp. Just been out and looked for spur points/ signs and still nothing (this was taken last week - is now a week older)

The reason I am wondering is that it makes the same noise as the hens?? Also I am struggling to introduce a new little hen and one of the others (not this one) is really going at it when i try to put her in the pen. I thought a rooster might have stepped in and sorted it out a bit? As it is this bird heads off out of it and eats instead of joining in or sorting it out?? Just doesn't remind me of the other 3 roosters we had at this age....they were all crowing and strutting and looking beautiful already??? xx

Back
Top Bottom