Please help! What sex are my 3 week old chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bayouhomestead, Apr 1, 2015.

1. bayouhomestead

bayouhomestead Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Southern Louisiana
    Good morning BYC... Can you please help me with your expertise.. I have a golden Wyandotte
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A partridge Cochin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a welsummer or leghorn?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Indyshent

Indyshent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    At this point, I'm going to say all are cockerels. They're getting surprisingly bright combs, and your two partridges (definitely a Welsummer) are getting black on the chest, which means they're boys. Wait and see with them, but unless their chests are solid salmon/rust colored, they're boys. My boy Welsummer has black patches on a red background; the girl has one even salmon one-tone on her breast. All partridge colors should do this.

Usually girls feather faster, but it's no guarantee. Brahmas (and possibly Cochin) all seem to feather slow, whereas all of my EEs have gone fast. GLW I have less experience with, and I'm still not sure about the one I have (and it's twice the age of yours). Watch and see how quickly who grows stiff butt feathers (girls will generally do this faster, but again, Brahmas/Cochins do everything slower than the other breeds, to my experience, regardless of gender though girls will still usually do it faster than boys).

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your Golden Laced Wyandotte may be a cockerel (based on comb width/redness). The Partridge Cochin appears to be a pullet. The breast coloring on the Welsummer or Leghorn makes me think pullet, but the comb redness makes it seem like a cockerel.

4. Indyshent

Indyshent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure about the breast color of the cochin and Welsummer. There's a hand in the way of the former, and the wellie looks like it's getting black blotches on the feathers. It's a wait and see on them.

5. bayouhomestead

bayouhomestead Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Southern Louisiana
    Thank you for your input. I have suspected roo's for all 3 for some time but I could easily be wrong. I am thinking about keeping one for the flock. I hear they can be great protectors against predators

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by