PLEaSE HELP What should I do?

dehave

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
I came home today to find broody off her nest. She left 5 apparently unfertile duck eggs, 1 chick egg and 1 half hatched perfect chick that looks like her head has a piece of shell smashed into it. She was perfect. I have been gone for 7 hours. She was on the nest when I left. Here's the thing, I candled the remaining eggs and the one chicken egg is all dark with aircell and blood veins still visible around the aircell edge. The egg is cold. Is there any hope for this chick or should I just toss it? I don't have an incubator so I don't know if there is anything I could do anyhow.

Thanks

UPDaTE - I decided to put the egg in a warm wet rag and then stick it in a wipe warmer. I don't know what temp the wipe warmer will get to, but I will put a thermostat in there.

I wouldn't toss it yet, there is still hope, but if she's no long willing to sit, and you don't have an incubator you may have to imprevise. Good Luck!

The duck she hatched belongs to someone else. When she came to take it home she offered to take my egg and pop it in her incubator. She is hatching ducks so I know the humidity might be too high, but I figured it was our best chance. Fingers crossed.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom