1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help? What's wrong with my Isa Brown?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rgoodpa1, May 3, 2016.

1. rgoodpa1

rgoodpa1 New Egg

Jul 21, 2014
    I've had an Isa Brown for three years and she has changed in the past few days. She is no longer eating or laying eggs. She sits in one spot in the yard most of the day with no energy.
    She appears to be healthy with clear eyes and a clean vent. Is she just depressed or should I look into something else. She get a good diet and clean shelter. I have also tried to check to see if she is egg bound however I don't think that's the problem.
    Grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Does she have a flock? Did she recently loose a flockmate?

3. rgoodpa1

rgoodpa1 New Egg

Jul 21, 2014
    About a month ago the Rooster of the flock was killed and also we reintroduced an injured hen back into the flock after she healed.

4. motheroffour

motheroffour Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Alberta
    Hi there. This is happening to me aswell today. Exactly the same. Mine lost her girl friend last Thursday.

5. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Chickens Grieve just like us. If they loose a member of their family they can get sad and slow down, Honestly I've never had it happen thankfully but I also don't know if there is any way to treat grief.

6. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    If this has just come about in the last few days, I would not think grief. Maybe if it had happened just after the attack it might be grief or shock/stress, but not this much later.

7. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Really? I've heard of people with grieving chickens for many weeks...

8. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho

I'm not trying to say it can't happen or doesn't happen, just that if this was a sudden onset in the last few days and the rooster died a month ago, it's probably something else causing problems with the hen.

9. Angie8eggs

Angie8eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    Is her crop full? Check it in the morning and if it's still full, try massaging it. Hope she gets better :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by