Please help, When can I put my chick in with my older chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by novalady, Sep 19, 2012.

1. novalady

novalady New Egg

May 21, 2012
    I have a small problem I have a young hen that sat on some eggs, she was outside with the free range hens and had sat on a nest outside of the coop. I managed to move her inside to a pen in my shed where she hatched out ONE chick out of the eggs she was sitting on. I do have two sets of chickens I have a small free range flock of 5 hens and 2 roos and have a coop run combanation that I keep 2 hens and one roo. The hen that is in the shed came from the free range flock if that makes a difference. She has been in the shed about 4 to 6 weeks at this time and the chick with her is about 2 weeks old. Any idea on how or when to put the two of them in with the rest of my flock? The coop run combanation is large enough to have them added to it, but would it be better to put them with the free range ones seeing that is where she started at? Thanks for your help.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd but her in with the group where she started.

Normally mama hen will protect her young from the others.

If it were me, I'd try and leave them separated until the baby is about 12 weeks.

Put mama and baby in with the free range group on a weekend when you can watch them... if they get attacked you can intervene.

3. novalady

novalady New Egg

May 21, 2012
    Thanks I will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by