Please help... who is who here

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by madimorg, Jul 23, 2010.

1. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I received 15 chicks this past Tuesday from MPC. I'm having some confusion as to who is who and wanted to see if I can get some help from the experts.

There is a Rhode Island Red, two Faverolles (male & female) and a Campine which I'm pretty sure I can figure out which one of my chicks those are. In this group there are also two Welsummers (male & female), and then one hen of each of the following.... Dominique, Australorp, Buff Orpington, Buff Chantecler, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Black Sumatra, Light Brown Leghorn and a Silver Lakenvelder. If you can help be break down who is who that would be great...

Thanks.

Photo #1
    [​IMG]… my guess is that two of these are my Welsummers and then one is the Easter Egger and one the Leghorn. Correct me if I’m wrong or if you can tell me which is which in this photo.

Photo #2
    [​IMG]
    I’m guessing that this is my Golden Laced Wyandotte

Photo #3
    [​IMG]
    The Rhode Island Red I’m pretty much 100% positive of.

Photo #4
    [​IMG]
    The Golden Campine; again I am feeling pretty positive on this one.

Photo #5
    [​IMG]
    The Buff Orpington and Buff Chantecler I’m pretty sure but no idea how to tell them apart.

Photo #6
    [​IMG]
    These are the Faverolles I’m positive.

Photo #7
    [​IMG]
    Black Sumatra, Silver Lakenvelder or Dominique?... these guys have me confused. I'm leaning toward Silver Lakenvelder.

Photo #8
    [​IMG]
    Black Sumatra, Silver Lakenvelder or Dominique?... these guys have me confused. I'm leaning toward the Sumatra.

Photo #9
    [​IMG]
    Black Sumatra, Silver Lakenvelder, Australorp or Dominique ?... these guys have me confused.

Photo #10
    [​IMG]
    I’ve been told this is the Australorp but she kinda looks like a Dominique to me; what is your opinion on that.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll do my best [​IMG]
    First pic, EE is on left. My brown leghorn was darker than my welsummers, she had almost blackish chipmunk markings; good luck.

I think your last picture is your dominique and above that is your australorp. The dom should have a dot on her head, not so with teh aust. That narrows down your other two unknowns a good bit.

3. madimorg

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Thanks a bunch.. that does help some. If anyone else wants to throw in their 2cents and ideas I'd love to hear from you.

4. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    #1 - I'm afraid I don't really know how to tell them apart.
    #2 - You're probably right.
    #3 - That's probably right, too. [​IMG]
    #4 - I think that's right.
    #5 - The buff Chantecler will have a 'cushion' comb and the Buff Orp will have a 'normal' single comb.
    #6 - Definitely the Faverolles [​IMG]
    #7-8 - The Sumatra will have a pea comb and the Lakenvelder a single comb. The chick in #8 is one of the most good-looking chicks I've ever seen! [​IMG]
    #9 - Australorp
    #10 - Dominique

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Can't help on the rest but I also received chicks from MPC last week and #9 looks like my australorp. So I'm guessing that's the australorp as well. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(my MPC australorp,or one of them - the other one has more black)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  6. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Gorgeous photos! Can you share you technique?

7. madimorg

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I don’t think I really have a technique; but just lucked out. I took my white bedspread off my bed, laid it over the back of the couch for a good solid color backdrop for behind and under the chicks. Then just carried them one at a time, sat them on the blanket and before they took off got the camera snapping. I do have a pretty good Canon digital camera which will snap pics one after another continually so I can just go thru and pick the photos of the chicks in the best pose to show them. Most of the chicks were very cooperative and seemed confused over the new surrounding so didn't move too much. I took new photos last night and just can’t believe how much their wing feathers are coming in... I had no idea they changed so quick.

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'm going to pick only one and put my money on that guess, but it's more than a guess. I'm certain that #9 chick is your sumatra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by