(Please help) Why is my duck losing feather around her eyes? Is this normal??

Drowsy_808

Chirping
Aug 29, 2022
Is this a skin condition or is it normal?
I’ve never heard about this before though. It’s not very serious, but she’s been losing a bit of feather around her eyes. I know it’s normal to lose feathers in general, but near her eyes? That’s new. I’m worried, is she sick?

Can you post a picture? Are there drakes in your flock ?
Unfortunately, I cannot, but it’s really just a bit. She’s losing a bit of feathers around her eyes, but not a lot.
There aren’t, she’s the only pet I have right now.

I have had ducks molt and never loose around the eyes
The other member has good questions that can help us to help you
Also any leaking from the eye that maybe she is scratching ?
No, I don’t think so. She isn’t hurt anywhere on her face.
When she was younger, my mother and I cut some of the fur around her eye off since it was making her eyes red and we were unknowledgeable and inexperienced at the time, maybe that’s partially why? It’s been a very long time since then though and she’s been fine until a week ago.

What type of duck do you have? I have several different ones and have never had this situation of losing feathers around the eyes before. Also what type of feed do you give it?

That's really strange. I give mine All Flock along with Layer Pellets and a little bit of Scratch along with some Game Bird. I had read where Game Bird has extra protein and gets them through molting faster and it really has helped mine. I hope yours is alright.

Back
Top Bottom