PLEASE HELP... WHY IS THIS EGG LIKE THIS???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hhartsong, Aug 13, 2014.

1. hhartsong

hhartsong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    This morning when I went out to check for eggs in the nesting box, there were none so I figured it was just too early in the morning and the chickens hadn't laid yet. When I went over to check on them in their sleeping area this is what I found. The egg was broken laying in the bedding, and the shell is paper thin. There is also a long tubular shaped ?something? attached to the shell and also paper thin and same color of the shell. My chickens are 17 weeks old and only 2 of them are laying so far. One started laying the 28th of July and the other on the 8th of August. My first hen, Ethel, that started laying on the 28 of July, laid 5 days in a row then skipped a day, laid again for 1 day then skipped 2 days. laid again for 5 days in a row then skipped 2 .... and this is what I found this morning. If someone can help me I would really appreciate it!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. chicbaby

chicbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    i would make sure they are getting plenty of calcium and protein with crushed up eggshells separate so they can have as much as they want/need and a good quality feed. ours range from 5 to 3 months old and we are giving them organic grower at 20% fermented with lentils oats,wheat berries, boss, and split peas and i have been getting eggs from our oldest for a month now with strong shells and i even got a double yolk really large egg today..[​IMG]
    i bought some oyster shell but they seem to prefer the egg shells, but they have both to choose from. do you have any roosters?

3. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    Yes, I have one Roster and 5 Hens... All of the eggs I have gotten so far have had really strong shells, this is the first time this has happened.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since your birds just started laying, an occasional soft shelled egg can be expected until their reproduction system is fully developed and has gotten used to laying eggs.

5. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    Thank you.... I knew it was probably something like that, but it really freaked me out... especially the tubular shaped thing hanging off of the shell.. what do you suppose caused it to form like that, or is that something normal too??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by