Please help...will my brand new baby chick dye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chullylou, Aug 2, 2013.

1. chullylou

chullylou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is trailing from its bottom. It only hatched 30 mins ago. Sorry to be graphic

2. chullylou

Jul 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I believe that is a prolapsed vent, and you need to leave the chick in the incubator for it to dry up. Put it back if you have taken it out. This should start to shrink and go back in.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have been trying to find more info about this. You might try to put some honey or preparation H on the prolapse, and try to push it back inside gently. Either of those can make it shrink. He can stay inside the incubator for a day or two until he needs to start eating and drinking. Hopefully others who have seen this will respond. Here is a thread to read about another prolapse case: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/746813/prolapsed-vent

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Eggcessive, are you sure that it is a prolapsed vent and not a large amount of yolk sac/some other egg material still attached? I've had a bird (albeit an adult) with prolapsed vent, and this looks nothing like it. It could be some sort of internal organ deformity, I suppose.

Chullylou, if this doesn't go in within another 24 hours, I would suggest doing the following things: 1) Put some honey and/or Witch Hazel on the protrusion. Preparation H might also help, but I would try a non-chemical method first. Wait a few hours after doing this, and then see if it recedes. 2) If it does not go back in, I would suggest culling the chick. If it is an internal organ, or even a severely prolapsed vent, the chick is likely suffering and will likely die unless the problem is resolved. I know that it is a hard thing to do, and I know that I myself would greatly resist culling, but it might be the best thing for the chick.

I hope that everything turns out all right! [​IMG]

6. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    That'r really strange? Just let it stay in the incu/ and maybe it will dry up or something

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  7. chullylou

Jul 4, 2013
    Thank you so much for replying. He survived the night and has shown interest in food. I put the prep h on last night as per your instructions and it has shrivelled up like a prune. Only problem now is that there is a fresh bit that has just come out. I think this baby has its intestines on the outside. I couldn't kill it but if it is suffering I will find someone who will. Apart from this though he seems normal. Keeping him incubated as the older chicks that hatched yesterday peck at it. Come on little chicky please pull through [​IMG]

8. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Is the chick able to poop?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just keep pushing it back in, and applying the honey or Prep H (which is witchhazel, by the way.) I think it will stay in eventually, but of course it may come out with each poop for a while. Try a tiny tiny bit of vaseline on it to keep it moist. Blue food coloring before the vaseline might color it enough to keep others from picking it. The is a product you can get called BluKote that is antiseptic, plus blue for hiding wounds. It is great stuff, and you may use it whenever there is a chicken injury.

10. chullylou

Jul 4, 2013
    I couldn't push it back in as it was solid crusty mass and more kept coming out. I opted to end his life by asking a local farmer to help me. Rest in peace little poppet. [​IMG] Thank you anyway everybody x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by