Please help, will she make it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BookWorm243, Apr 13, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    This is my first hatch and have had a hard time with it. I have had 3 hatch, I had to help all three. The first 2 are doing great and I actually had to get them out of the shell as they where shrink wrapped. The third one I just created a zip for, she hatched out and seems to still be bleeding. Is this normal? She hatched out at 5:00pm, I put flour on the the membrane to help stop the bleeding. You could still see the veins running thru and I don't know if maybe one was torn? I am not sure what to do or if I actually need to do something. I may just be freaking out:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    One of mine did this and did make it [​IMG] I really hope yours does I let the egg shell attached dry

3. Jeanieameraucana

Jeanieameraucana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    Better keep her warm and rested. Resist fiddling too much and give her a little time.

4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    It's EXTREMELY easy to break a vein, and the chick could bleed to death.

I've seen a post here on BYC before, where a chick broke it's own blood vein

while trying to hatch, and bled to death in the egg.

What you see shouldn't cause a problem, but you should let it dry out and come

off of her on it's own. [​IMG]

Good luck

ScissorChick

5. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks everyone!
    I am going to let her rest and see how she is doing in the morning. How long will it take for that to fall off?

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Mine took 2 full days

7. Equine_Angel

Equine_Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    Hi,

I have had this happen last year in my first hatch ever. I had to hatch the chick out myself as she was upside down in the egg. After I cleaned her off and stopped the bleeding, I put her in a separate box. Inside the box I covered a heat bag (made from rice/wheat) and made a small nest out of it. I heated up the bag every so often. I even kept the chick underneath my shirt and let her rest on the bare skin of my chest by my heart for a couple of hours. She really liked it. After about 8 hours, she started to run around and was then introduced to her flock. We named her Trooper!!!

I hope your little one makes it!

8. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Just wanted to update, It has dried up but still looks attached I am not sure tho. I am going to go and check, she seems to be doing better and is more alert.

Thanks Everyone for the help

9. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I hope she is doing better tomorrow. Good luck little chick.

10. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    She is walking around but still dragging the membrane behind her. It looks like it has dried, and my mom wants me to cut it but if it was dry wouldn't it of already come off?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by