PLEASE HELP, will wait for responses, need experienced advice asap

minpinmama

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 24, 2010
This little lone egg survivor hasn't made any progress in over 8 to 10 hours,
He is opening and closing his beak like he is trying to breath, I see no egg tooth on his beak,
He has not made any peeping, chirping noises at all, He appears weak and as all day.
In my other post someone mentioned about getting a room steamed up and careful little by little
taking small pieces of shell off, I did and the shell is coming off little by little but it is like the membrane is stuck to him, maybe dried to him, is there anything I can do, Is this what you all call shrink wrapped?
I'm afraid to peel any membrane off cause it could tear his little body. In one area there is a tiny tiny little bit of blood.
I don't dare do anymore, but if I don't he may die anyway! Need some folks with a lot of experience to advice me please
and thank you.

Don't know if it matters but FYI this is day 23

Would using a warm damp cotton ball, rubbing water help loosen him?
He seems so weak and it's been nearly 12 hours and there has been no progress in 8 to 10 hrs,

Last edited:
I don't have alot of experirnce but last week I helped out 5 chicks. All of them made it. Always read you shouldn't but i wasn't able to keep watching them struggle. I took tweezers and very carefully pulled the dried membrane off. When i saw any blood I stopped and put them back in bator for at least 20 minutes.. As i held the egg I held warm wet paper towel underneath egg. It was only my third hatch. I have one baby silkie that is a tiny little thing but no curled toes or legs.

I dampened the membrane, it's so dry and white in some places, like paper. I stopped and put him back cause I seen a tiny
bit of blood. Have been in the same room with the bator all day and have three others looking in on him all day and
none of us has hear not the slightest peep, all day his beak opens and shuts like he is gasping (but with no sound)

8 to 10 hours with no progress and no sound seems not right.
The membrane seems stuck to him.
he.gif

I should of stuck with day old chicks and not tried to incubate
sad.png

Not sure how to proceed but will give him a rest, wait to hear from anyone else wanting to give advice.
Did steam up the bathroom, took him up there and little by little tried to take tiny pieces of the egg away.

The tiny silkie had dry membrane too.I removed the shell in little pieces till the end was off then removed the membrane off enough till he just barely pushed himself out. he didn't look good . Left him in bator all night and he took about 2 days to get up to par.

I dampened the membrane, it's so dry and white in some places, like paper. I stopped and put him back cause I seen a tiny
bit of blood. Have been in the same room with the bator all day and have three others looking in on him all day and
none of us has hear not the slightest peep, all day his beak opens and shuts like he is gasping (but with no sound)

8 to 10 hours with no progress and no sound seems not right.
The membrane seems stuck to him.
he.gif

I should of stuck with day old chicks and not tried to incubate
sad.png

Not sure how to proceed but will give him a rest, wait to hear from anyone else wanting to give advice.
Did steam up the bathroom, took him up there and little by little tried to take tiny pieces of the egg away.
The reason you steam up the bathroom is so the other chicks that are hatching don't get shrinkwrapped. Yours sounds like it is definitely struggling. If the membrane is truly stuck to him then I personally would definitely help. Sometimes it seems like they need help and when you do the do bleed. All you do is wrap it in a warm wet towel and try again later. And sometimes, they're too weak they can't finish drawing in their blood vessels and they are going to die. It happens. Trust me, it happens a lot. Don't let this get you down. Its a learning process, and I by all means I've had more failed hatches than anyone, but I keep plugging away. It can be emotional but don't blame yourself....if anything you're giving him the absolute best shot! Thats my opinion anyway...alot of people feel that if they can't hatch they aren't worth keeping (and more often then not, they are right) but I feel that its probably my shitty job of incubating so I can do what I can.

I think he just died, stopped the opening and closing of his beak and isn't even moving, not that he moved all that much anyway, but he did a little bit occasionally.
It's my first time incubation, he was the only one of 17 who made it this far. Have him back in te bator and will check on him in 10 to 15 mins to see if any movement.

I think he just died, stopped the opening and closing of his beak and isn't even moving, not that he moved all that much anyway, but he did a little bit occasionally.
It's my first time incubation, he was the only one of 17 who made it this far. Have him back in te bator and will check on him in 10 to 15 mins to see if any movement.

aww im sorry. i had that happen before

What was ur humidity the first 18 days?
what was it during lockdown?

Back
Top Bottom