Please help with baby chick.. (warning: poop picture)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poisonsludge, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Poisonsludge

Poisonsludge New Egg

Apr 23, 2017
    Hello... I am not a chicken farmer or anything like that.. I just happen to need help.. As weird as it's gonna sound.. I found a baby chick today inside a Walmart store... (yea..) it was abandoned inside the store and was been ignored.. I picked it up and brought him home after finding a feed store and buying some food for it. From what I found out its a black barred chicken..but.. What I needed help with was it pooped on me and its yellow.. Is that normal or is the chic sick?? [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Poop isn't really significant in the early days after hatching. More important is behavior. If your chick is active, eating and drinking, instead of just standing in one spot with its head sunk into its shoulders or lying on its side with eyes closed, you shouldn't worry.

I recommend you rig up a heating pad cave for it to sleep under. It will warm it as well as comfort it. It will be peeping for other chicks since it will be lonely, i this will help. Chicks need around 85-90F to replace lost body heat, but they don't need to be kept at that temp all the time.

If you could post a pic, we can tell you how old it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by