1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help with breeds [Pic heavy]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by garp94, May 1, 2011.

1. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    the petshop had ordered the pullet assortment from McMurrays. I went in for 4-5 and came out with 9. Thankfully DH loves me. I'm pretty sure 3 are Barred Rocks, the others i don't know but have some guesses.
    All have clean legs

There are 3 that are black and white/cream, single comb. Pink feet. I initially thought all 3 were Black australorps, but at least 1 is not the same as the other2

It has a black beak/comb and much less cream/white overall and legs are black but for tiips of some toes. she is also the smallest.
    It's in the center of this shot
    [​IMG]
    close up
    [​IMG]

There's one with the most white facing left and a medium amount of white on the left facing right [the dark one is on the right facing right]
    [​IMG]

most white head on
    [​IMG]

the one inbetween
    [​IMG]

I don't know if the second and third are just variations on an australorp?, or is that the first one and these are something else?

3 others with some brown on head. all have yellow legs, but 2 have what I think are rose combs : flat with a slight point caudally. Are Wyandottes the only ones with that?
    Of the 2 with these combs, one has white in it's wings, the other brown

The one with the rose comb and brown in body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rose comb with white
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

last one with yellow single comb and white in body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    You won't be able to tell what mix they are till they get quite a bit older and then since they are Hatchery chicks you may never know what kind of chicken they actualy are or what other breeds they were mix bred to.

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    You have 1 Golden Wyandotte (brown & black, rose comb) and 2 Silver wyandottes (Silverish brown & white. One has a rose comb, other has a single comb. single combs sometimes show up in hatchery birds) 3 Barred rocks/ possible cuckoo Marans (Black and white wings, white spots on heads) 2 black Australorps/ possible Jersey Giants (Black, white bellies/faces)

And this one. This one looks like a Black Sexlink (also called black star)
    [​IMG]

4. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree. It may be hard to distinguish Giants and Australorps for a while, if you have both. For sure you have Silver and Gold Laced Wyandottes. Not so sure about the Blk Sexlink, that could be another Giant or Australorp, some don't have as much white on there face and can fool you.

If that last one starts to get gold feathers around it's neck instead of all blk, then it is a sexlink.

5. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    Thank you for the input.

Previously i always knew what they were supposed to be, It's weird not knowing this time. Exciting in a different way.

6. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Cute chicks you got there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by