1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help with candling "procedure"--First timer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by texaschickmom, Feb 25, 2011.

1. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    I'm just on Day 2 but am planning ahead for my first candling experience. I've got 26 of my own flock eggs in an LG with fan and egg turner. I'm assuming that I should remove the whole turner with eggs and shut the bator back up ASAP. Then candle all eggs, removing obviously clear ones, and then replace the turner back in the bator. Have I got it right? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Anyone? Please? [​IMG]

3. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I don't have an LG but i just take them out one at a time to candle so the others stay warm. Then add a little bit of water to raise humidity slightly afterwards to make up for losses. Hope this helps. I normally candle day 4 for the first time.

4. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

I usually just take one out at a time... and watch that the humidity goes back up after.

I think it's a choice which way...but one at a time works for me.

Hope it helps! Good Luck! I'm on day 19... Lockdown and waiting! [​IMG]

5. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    What was I thinking? [​IMG] Of course the other eggs need to stay warm, especially since this will be my first time to candle. And I have brown eggs! Thanks for bringing me to my senses!

6. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I just open the lid and candle all the eggs, then close it and the heat will rise again shortly. It won't hurt them to be for a few minutes, just think how a broody hen leaves the nest each day to eat and drink.

Also just read your only on day 2 I would wait till at least day 7 to candle, you won't see anything at all on day 2. So please don't throw any out!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:X2

I even left the ones in that I'm pretty sure are duds only because this was my first candling experience. I figure I will wait till day 14 to make the discussion to toss them because I should know for sure then!!

8. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Good idea on waiting to candle till later. Especially since I don't know what I'm looking for! Thanks for your help![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by