Please help with color scheme for these Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SDECESARE, Aug 26, 2013.

1. SDECESARE

SDECESARE Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    Everglades, Florida
    They were sold to me as Aurucanas as chicks (LOL) but obviously someone didn't know the difference or was confused (less than me though, LOL). They are just so full of personalityand the eggs are awesome! I have started a breeding project but I want to get my colors right.

Photos 1 2 & 3
    One is the Roo....my guess is Brown Red? Someone suggested Wheaton ( not blue)....
    [​IMG]

Wheaton or Blue Wheaton? Silver???
    [​IMG]

Brn & red or wheaton mix or straight?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are Easter Eggers, there's not a specific name for their color as they are mutts if you want to do a breeding project for Ameraucanas I would suggest you get purebred Ameraucanas from a breeder unless you don't care about pure breed chickens and are just doing as a hobby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    x2. The rooster's color is wheaten, but if he came from the same batch as the others he's probably an EE, too. The hen color that you have is called a partridge pattern, and it's the most common EE color pattern that there is--and Ameraucanas don't come in partridge at all.

4. SDECESARE

Jun 10, 2013
    Everglades, Florida
    Incidentily they are all unrelated..

5. SDECESARE

Jun 10, 2013
    Everglades, Florida
    Just a hobby.......I like the traits they have in common...pea combs, tufts, beards..and PERSONALITY

6. SDECESARE

Jun 10, 2013
    Everglades, Florida
    Any input on #2

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Don't think that matters. If someone sold you Easter Eggers and called them Araucanas, they are either breeding EEs from their Ameraucanas and lying to their customers--fraud pure and simple-- or they don't know the difference themselves and were sold "Araucanas" by a hatchery and didn't know the difference. I'm leaning towards the second one. Here, maybe this will help: http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html

If you are looking to breed show birds or want to breed birds towards the Standard of Perfection, these are not the birds to work with.

Sorry for the bad news. But, welcome to BYC!

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 [​IMG]

9. SDECESARE

Jun 10, 2013
    Everglades, Florida
    Well, no they are no Breed Perfect, I realize that..I just figured they were MOSTLY Am-cana and I liked what I saw and was dealing with...
    Not really bad news....I knew they weren't Pure Breeds. But I do like them very much...

10. SDECESARE

Jun 10, 2013
    Everglades, Florida
    However, someday soon I would like a Pure Breed to work with. Any suggestions? I live in VERY southwest Florida, hot humid most of the year. Looking for layers or dual purpose. I just find that these conditions here aren't pleasant for all animals not indigenous to this area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by