Please help with dead hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbachick, Oct 12, 2009.

1. abbachick

abbachick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Wilson, North Carolina
    I have a Dominique hen that acted a bit weird yesterday morning. She put her head in a corner and wouldn't come out. I checked back on her after 2 hours and she was laying in the nest and seemed a bit ill. I had originally thought she was trying to lay an egg in privacy as she kept straining but nothing was coming out. When I went out in the evening, she was dead in the same nest box and ant's on her face. None of the other birds touched her.

I do get snakes in the barn, but she has no marks on her anywhere. I have a couple of options as I see it. One, we live near a school and they like to "help" us with fire ants by putting out poisen near our fence-line. Two, the day before I turned some decaying wood so the birds could eat the bugs. I also had some water leak in their barn, though I have it cleaned up now. Other than poisen or mold, I am left with illness. So far the rest of the flock seems ok, but it's only been a day.

Other possibly related problems: the egg production went from around 8-12/day to 0-4/day about a week ago. Previouse to that the shells are very brittle, or the hens lay with no shell. I have given lots of oyster shell, they get DE on their food, and I feed scratch and layer feed. Please help if you have any ideas.

2. abbachick

abbachick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    Wilson, North Carolina
    Update; sick polish hen this morning. She is just standing around with her beak open, softly crawing and sneezing loudly every so often. She acts like breathing is a problem for her and is wheezing a bit. Please help before another one get's ill!

I am calling the local ag this morning and also going to purchase a round of antibiotics for the flock, I'm just afraid it's too late for this one. She just won't move! I do have her quarantined away from my other birds, so maybe I'll get lucky.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I'm so sorry you are having so many problems. I don't know how to answer your questions but readers will be getting home soon and could be of help. Hang in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by