Please Help with EE Genders (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crawfordmama, Jul 6, 2011.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I've been stalking the Easter Eggers Sexing Tips & Tricks thread for weeks. I would like some opinions, or rather confirmation, on the genders of these 5 chicks I hatched. I'm pretty sure I lost the chick lottery, as I think they're all cockerals. They are 6 1/2 weeks. I apologize for the less than ideal pics. They hate the camera!

Ace:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Trouble:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Nelly:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Rory:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Coco:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

All except Nelly have some green tinges in their black feathers. Also, Nelly is approximately half the size of the others, and appears more round than lanky. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ace and Nelly look like girls, Trouble and Rory look rooish.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Rory is definately a roo. I also question Ace, but the rest look girlie to me. My EE hens have big pretty black tails with a green sheen. They are also very big, the biggest girls in my flock. You'll probably have to wait a little longer to see who's who. Mine were very hard to sex. Good luck!

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going with Ace and Nelly are pullets, Trouble and Rory are roos. Coco I'm on the fence but leaning towards roo.

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Nelly is a pullet. I think Ace is too! The others are all cockerels.

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Everyone is a boy but Nellie with Ace being an I am not totally sure, but I think boy.

Lanae

7. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Thank you all for your replies!

It seems like everyone is on the fence about Ace. A little more info:

Ace is the same size as the convicted cockerals. (S)he has an odd looking pea comb. It's sort of broad but has a divot on the back. No definitive three rows, and not quite pink. I'm trying my darndest to get a pic, but it just comes out blurry. I had a very difficult time sexing his/her mother. Ace and Trouble seem to have a little tiff going on and get into "it" every day.

I appreciate everyone's help!

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'm leaning toward pullet for Ace. Maybe you could get a clear close-up of the comb? [​IMG]

Nelly... The comb looks huge (even for a single comb) for 6 weeks. But other than that, she looks like a girl. Everyone else... Roos. (BTW, I had pretty much the same luck - 2 pullets out of 6 total.)

9. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Unfortunately this is the best I can do with my camera. Thanks for your input!

Ace's comb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sailing Dede

Sailing Dede Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bradwell-On-Sea
    Nelly is so cute, I would love a pullet like her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by