Please help with gender I.D BCM and ameraucana

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nunlef, Nov 16, 2011.

1. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Hi,
    I'm new here, but have been looking around since June. I have gotten a lot of good advice without posting a thing, but now I would really like to figure out the sex of my chicks. The lady I bought them from had 2 Black Copper Marans (1 female, 1 male) and 2 Ameraucana (1 female, 1 male). I bought 6 of her chicks, and am now trying to figure out what I have.

Hatch date sept 18-19 so they are just shy of 9 weeks old.

4 are "pure" BCM, 1 is "pure" ameraucana, 1 is a cross. (the quotations are because these aren't show birds, so who knows if they are true pure bred chickens)

I can only seem to identify 5 different chickens. 2 look so similar that i can't tell them apart in photos, so these 5 will have to do.

Thanks so much in advance, I'm really enjoying having these guys, but I do want to rid our yard of any excess roosters before our 2 new hens get here (white leghorn and a red star both 5 months old). If someone sees a particually good looking chicken, I would also like to know. I will want to hatch some eggs in the spring, and would use my own birds if they look good.

oops,
    I guess i can't post pictures. Maybe someone could tell me if there is a general scale for maturity with these breeds. I have read a million posts about gender and the BCM, but I haven't seen a scale. Can a roo have no protruding comb at 9 weeks, and could a female have a very developed comb? Also, is temperament an indicator of sex?

Thanks,
    Heather

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    You will be able to post pics after 10 posts. You can also post them on some other public platform and include a link in your post here.

sorry, no other advice. Hope this helped.

Cheers,
    Jo

3. nunlef

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    thanks so much.

I put them on photo bucket, and here are the links - please excuse the spelling mistake, the one chick is of course "princess" with 2 s's [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Beta, Alpha, (BCM) and Friendly (Ameraucana) are roos...

cinderella (amerauvcana) ...girl

Princess (BCM or Ameraucana?) i can't see...

5. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Princess and the black Ameraucana look like ladies to me with Alpha, Beta, and Friendly cockerels.

6. nunlef

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Thank you so much for the replies. I also just realized i put this in the wrong section - sorry about that.

Well, I guess that also answers my question about personality. Friendly is the biggest pita I have ever dealt with (and i fostered poorly behaved german shepherds before this). The 3 supposed roos do a chest bumping thing all day, the others just stand around and watch [​IMG]

I do have one more question.
    Is Alpha pretty enough to keep for the purpose of breeding? He does have feathered legs, and has a pretty good personality (he is the alpha, but is easy to pick up and pet). I've not seen any white on him, either.

THanks,
    Heather

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by