Please help with gender of 2 Silkies & a Sultan.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by verycherry, Jul 18, 2008.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I was told both of these Silkie Bantams were pullets, but the girl also mentioned she wan't used to sexing Silkies so she might be mistaken.

Now that they've grown, the white one stands more erect than the red, and is more outgoing and "cocky" acting. The comb is wider across the beak also, so I'm thinking maybe cockerel.

The red one seems like it has a shorter neck, but that may be just how it carries itself. I'm thinking this one may be a pullet like the girl said, but I'm just not sure.

The last 2 photos are of my Sultan, and I don't even have a clue what sex it is. My 5 year old picked it out as her favorite, so who was going to argue? ( ...and it WAS adorable), but it's the only one I've ever even seen. Anyone have experience with sexing Sultans?

First, the Silkies...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, our Sultan...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I appreciate your help! Thanks!

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I think the white is a boy based on the streamers starting on the back of his head.

I'm clueless on the other two, though. I know nothing about sultans and it's hard to tell on the red silkie.

3. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Asher, I know nothing about Sultans either, but after I got it home, I read that they aren't very winter hardy. [​IMG] Don't know what I'm going to do about that yet. Anyone got a huge bird cage? [​IMG]

If you're right about the white Silkie, then I sure hope the red is a female.

4. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, these are probably about 7 or 8 weeks old.....I think. I lost track, and lost my receipt, but I know I bought them a few weeks after my standard chicks, and those are now 11 weeks.

5. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I have young silkies too and I'm just waiting to see who's who... As for the sultan all I can do is show you a pic of my hen for comparison... Probably not too much help... But yours does look a lot like my Pani!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  7. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Oh, I'm so hopeful you guys are right about the Sultan. It's name is Vegas by the way.

Kelly, great blog!

That male definately is looking more rooster than mine. My chicks haven't had watermelon yet, but they love cantelope!

Thanks! I just hope the red Silkie is a girl too.

8. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Your Sultan is a pullet.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sultan looks to be a pullet, girls puff will form a "bonnet" (more tightly together)and males will be more spiky and wild hair looking. I think your red might be a pullet and possible that the white may be a male if the skin on his beak keeps forming. [​IMG]

10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    The white silkie is a cockerel, not sure yet on the red. The sultan looks like a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by