Please help with gender on my first chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snmarchi, Jun 13, 2016.

1. snmarchi

snmarchi Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    Centennial CO
    My Chickens are now 7 weeks old and I am hoping they will all be hens for egg production. As for the breeds, here is what was listed by the seller when I bought them at 2 days old. I took a body and head picture of each in hopes that would give you a good view of them. Please let me know if it would help to show another angle.
    1. Aracauna/Americana mix
    2. Rhode Island Red (I have 2 of these)
    3. Silver Laced Wyandotte
    4. Black Ostralorp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Your birds are very cute! None of them are looking overly suspicious to me as of now. But, they are still young and it's impossible to tell for 100% certainty right now.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They all look like pullets so far! Also they all look like what the seller said they were (Rhode Island Reds, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Black Australorp, and the Araucana/Ameraucana mix would be called an Easter Egger)/

4. snmarchi

May 12, 2016
    Centennial CO
    Thanks for your response! Around what age can we be more certain for these breeds?

5. snmarchi

May 12, 2016
    Centennial CO
    That is encouraging. Thank you !

6. Gardenalex

Gardenalex Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    I am not so sure, but the RIR and the Wyandotte could be male. Please post again what you really have.

7. snmarchi

May 12, 2016
    Centennial CO
    Update: The chickens are now 18 weeks old, and I would love everyone's advice on their sex.

Adrian:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jasmine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ruby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rosa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hermione
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chickens are so fun! Yesterday they were free ranging in our back yard, and a Cooper's Hawk flew into our pine tree. We were ready with our garden hose on the jet setting, and a rake in hand. It didn't come any closer, so that was a relief!

Also there is no crowing, and not strutting or aggressive behavior by a single bird (other than the little squabbles that happen between different birds).
    Thanks for anyone taking time to tell me about the sex of these sweet creatures.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. snmarchi

May 12, 2016
    Centennial CO
    Also there is no crowing, and no strutting or aggressive behavior by a single bird (other than the little squabbles that happen between different birds).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  9. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    The only one I am suspicious of is Rosa, but could just be developing a little early. The rest are pullets.

10. snmarchi

May 12, 2016
    Centennial CO
    Thanks! I am eager to hear experienced opinions! Roosters are illegal in my town after 6 months, unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by