Please help with goslings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hvnsnt338, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hvnsnt338

hvnsnt338 New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    We purchased 6 goslings today and have already lost 1. 2 others have also gone threw what the one we lost went through, but we put those under a heat lamp and hair dryer and was able to bring them back before it was too late. Can anyone give me some information about what may be going on with these guys? I have had goslings before with NO problems and I just cant imagine what is going wrong.

All the information I can provide would be that they appear to be less than a week old, the appear to be brown chinese and that the 3 that have been affected seem to have done so after having water. They start by becoming extremely wabbly, backing over themselves and then their heads start to become extremely unsteady and start swaying back and forth and side to side. It is very distinctive when this behavior begins. At once we take them and start warming them. They do have a heat lamp and I have removed water from them. Of course, I know they cannot go without water but it seems they are either chilling from it or getting wet when they are drinking it. The last one that did this did not feel wet at all.

Please help if there is anybody out there that can shed some light on this and help us keep from losing any more of them.

Thanks
    Sandi

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:

3. hvnsnt338

hvnsnt338 New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    Well, then I have probably amplified the problem by not giving them any water since yesterday around 600pm. I will try the 60 second trial. I tossed and turned about this last night and a million things went through my head. From medicated feed to metal water bowl.
    I checked in the feed issues and it is what the feed store had been feeding them and it has only atripium (sp) in it. I will still change feeds to be sure. I will not water them from a metal waterer and see if that helps. I am also going to pick up vita sol to help with vits/mineral. Would a small about of gator ade added to their water for now suffice?

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Like I said, I was guessing based on some experience I had, try not to let them over drink when you put water back. Medicated feed is not likely to be the cause of what you described, look at my signature to see what I know about medicated feed. Be careful with the vita sol not to overdose! Keep an eye on the water because it will tend to go bad with bacteria, those same vits and minerals feed the bacteria as well as the goslings. Fresh clean water is very important and once you have got their thirst under control they should have it at all times And yes they will make a mess of it, thats what waterfowl do!

5. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    My gosling did this yesterday after freaking out and trying to get to me because I wasn't near him. I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what happened...then he snapped out of it when I brought him back in. Makes me think when he freaks out that its a result of that....he acted drunk and had a turned head and wobbly neck like he couldn't hold his head straight.

6. missionsix

missionsix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunriver , OR (Bend)
    This site is referring to ducks, but to be safe, I thought I'd drop it by here. May be something that can affect waterfowl in general?
    Botulism
    Symptoms: loss of muscular control of legs, wings and neck - hence the term limber-neck. Birds are unable to swallow.
    Cause: toxins produced by bacteria (Clostridia) in decaying animal and vegetable waste. The toxins cause the problem.

http://www.runnerduck.net/diseases.htm

Disclaimer: [​IMG] I am very new to this and my memory was sparked by the "drunk" sounding birds. I came across this site/info yesterday cause I thought my duck was coughing.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by