Please help with lethargic hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheepsforkeeps, Jul 31, 2010.

1. cheepsforkeeps

cheepsforkeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    [​IMG]I have a 16 wk old easter egger. She has been very slowed down for 2-3 days. Puffed up around the neck. Wings and tails drooping and her she keeps her head down. No obvious signs of injury. Does free range and there is oleander and wisteria on property. Husband also throws food scraps into coop and leaving them to compost in deep litter. Water did can did get a little slimy once. Rest of chicken are doing great. She can't walk fast or keep up with other chickens. Her tail was bent to side the previous two days. She doesn't seem to be eating the starter food, but will eat yogurt, egg and fruit. I put her in a crate yesterday to rest and watch her. Today I opened the door to see how she would do, she came out and went back in. She doesn't seem interested in water either. I added electrolytes to it today, but not sure she is getting any. She does free range, could she have ate something toxic? I don't know the symptoms? Any ideas out there?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mareks?

3. cheepsforkeeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Forgot to add that she has started breathing with beak open and her crop or underneath beak seams to be twitching. I did find evidence of them pecking at new sprouts of wisteria, but they all have and the rest are fine. My husband had also been sort of throwing food scraps into coop and leaving them to compost.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    are her eyes goopy? maybe tylan?

5. cheepsforkeeps

Apr 24, 2010
    No goop! Hmmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by