CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

With each day that draws nearer to hatch date I'm getting more and more nervous for my chicklets. There are 8 eggs in there that are due to hatch I *think* on the 17th. I put them in the incubator on the evening of September 26th (I think??
barnie.gif
)

So...they go into "lockdown" mode on the 14th?? (this Sunday) is that correct? And they would be due to hatch anywhere from the 16th to the 18th?

I candled tonight and I can't see a blasted thing, it's driving me nuts. All 8 of the eggs are black except the air sac...but there is some sort of movement in them (turning of a head or something, I would assume)...and I can still see some veining near the air sac in all of them except the weird little Silkie (but the chick moves).

So I lockdown this Sunday and leave them alone and just ride it out?

Hi,

With each day that draws nearer to hatch date I'm getting more and more nervous for my chicklets. There are 8 eggs in there that are due to hatch I *think* on the 17th. I put them in the incubator on the evening of September 26th (I think??
barnie.gif
)

So...they go into "lockdown" mode on the 14th?? (this Sunday) is that correct? And they would be due to hatch anywhere from the 16th to the 18th?

I candled tonight and I can't see a blasted thing, it's driving me nuts. All 8 of the eggs are black except the air sac...but there is some sort of movement in them (turning of a head or something, I would assume)...and I can still see some veining near the air sac in all of them except the weird little Silkie (but the chick moves).

So I lockdown this Sunday and leave them alone and just ride it out?

Nervous time isn't it? If you're anything like me prepare for lockdown paranoia. I sit here thinking of all the things that could possibly go wrong and imagining that that's what's happening inside the shells (doing it right now! - my latest one is 'did I give the girls too much oyster shell and the shells of the eggs are too thick and the little guys can't get out?'). Nonsense of course.

Actually, from what you've said, everything is absolutely as it should be. Your observations and date calculations are spot on. I think the most important 3 words in there are "leave them alone", ignore the demons telling you they need your help and have a great hatch. I have 6 of mine that locked down yesterday so I understand completely the 'I can't see a blasted thing and it's driving me nuts' sentiment. Just got to sit on your hands and let them get on with it (with everything crossed for the little guys).

I look forward to the chick pictures.

Nervous time isn't it? If you're anything like me prepare for lockdown paranoia. I sit here thinking of all the things that could possibly go wrong and imagining that that's what's happening inside the shells (doing it right now! - my latest one is 'did I give the girls too much oyster shell and the shells of the eggs are too thick and the little guys can't get out?'). Nonsense of course.

Actually, from what you've said, everything is absolutely as it should be. Your observations and date calculations are spot on. I think the most important 3 words in there are "leave them alone", ignore the demons telling you they need your help and have a great hatch. I have 6 of mine that locked down yesterday so I understand completely the 'I can't see a blasted thing and it's driving me nuts' sentiment. Just got to sit on your hands and let them get on with it (with everything crossed for the little guys).

I look forward to the chick pictures.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Yes, it is definitely nervous time. This has been an exciting journey so far (with some very sad moments and some very happy moments). I'm still in awe at holding an egg in my hand and seeing a chick moving around in it! I pray you have a wonderful hatch, too...and that your little chicklets come out healthy and happy, too! Please keep us updated, will you? :) I broke my camera while rescuing a chick (long story) so no pictures until we get a new one. lol...I'll have to 'describe' very well. :p

They are all in an egg carton right now - should I take them out of there and gently lay them on their sides so they have more room? Or should I just leave them be and hatch out of the carton? =/

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply!

Yes, it is definitely nervous time. This has been an exciting journey so far (with some very sad moments and some very happy moments). I'm still in awe at holding an egg in my hand and seeing a chick moving around in it! I pray you have a wonderful hatch, too...and that your little chicklets come out healthy and happy, too! Please keep us updated, will you? :) I broke my camera while rescuing a chick (long story) so no pictures until we get a new one. lol...I'll have to 'describe' very well. :p

They are all in an egg carton right now - should I take them out of there and gently lay them on their sides so they have more room? Or should I just leave them be and hatch out of the carton? =/

I can't really help with that one. I hatch them on their sides but that's mostly because I have a tiny incubator (Brinsea Mini) and couldn't get an egg carton in there if I wanted to. A lot of people seem to hatch in the carton with great results. Maybe one of them is around to chip in?

Back
Top Bottom