Please Help with Medical Issue!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heuker, Sep 29, 2016.

1. heuker

heuker New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    Hello,

I understand that I am new to this forum, but I am really hoping that I can get some good help. I am in a state of emergency with some new birds I just purchased. I have a young pair of ocellated turkey that I just received and during shipment to me I have seen that there was a slight irritation with one of the poults eyes. Originally it appeared to simply be exhausted from the stress of the new environment, but then over the last night the eyelid became quite inflamed. I have attached a picture for reference of the bird, but if anyone could please help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It appears to have conjunctivitis and sinus swelling that can be a symptom of a respiratory disease MG or mycoplasma. The poult might have also been pecked or have a foreign body in the eye that has caused an infection. Can you see a vet locally? Is there any sneezing, coughing, or gasping? You can give some antibiotics such as oxytetracycline or Tylan 50 or 200 injectable if you are seeing respiratory symptoms. But keep in mind that many respiratory diseases such as MG can make carriers of your flock. You might want to get the poult tested for MG. Keep the birds isolated from your others for at least 30 days until you are certain they are healthy.

3. heuker

heuker New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    There is no sneezing that I can see at all. I have physically looked at the birds eye and it appears to strictly be in the front of the eye or on the nictating membrane. I have attempted to use a saline solution to try and flush whatever body might be in the eye out, but there are no other adverse health affects that I can see at this point. Any other suggestions in relation to a strictly eye related injury?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by