Please help with Mort's foot problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pgpoultry, Jan 29, 2011.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    A week ago my NN roo began to limp. I noticed that his right foot was swollen, hot and painful to the touch, with the 'pad' very swollen and hot in comparison with the other. I was expecting bumblefoot, though I have never had to treat this before. I cleaned the foot, injected him with penicillin and aspirated the pad with a very large bore needle, only blood came back. I repeated the penicillin injection a few days later and have washed the foot daily. I posted here about a week ago and was sent a very helpful link on bumblefoot surgery by Highlander.

No scab has developed but the pad remains hard, hot,swollen and obviously painful, so I am not sure as to whether I should open the pad or not. I would happily take my rooster to the vet. BUT the vet practice deals with large farm animals, cats and dogs and do not seem to be at all knowledgeable on birds (Nearest avian vet two hours away).

I attach pics. of the feet, though I don't think that the degree of swelling is well represented. Opinions please as to what other would do

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Looking at this link

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I see several possibilities. The Merck veterinary manual is online, too, for a thorough discussion of any disease.

I have no idea what your bird has. Over here there are some broad spectrum antibiotics you could try but I don't think that is an option for you, unless you could talk a vet into giving you one. I agree, it doesn't look like bumblefoot, there is nothing there to indicate a point of entry that I see. I suppose you could try opening it; I don't know that I would. A soak, maybe, perhaps an Epsom salt soak?

Mostly I'm giving you a bump since this went unanswered, probably got lost because of the time difference.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Thank you,
    I'll certainly soak his foot with Epsom Salts.

Mort does not seem ill in himself apart from not getting around. His appetite is good and he is still crowing in the coop in the morning.As he would fare badly getting food with the others around, I am taking him into the house and giving him high protein and fat foods. He is placid and very tame, so handling him is no bother.

He still tries the old 'leg dance' .....sore foot out, of course, with a couple of the girls.

I'm grateful for any advice, and will try the Merck veterinary manual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by