PLEASE HELP WITH MY CHICKENS!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KerenR, Mar 8, 2014.

1. KerenR

KerenR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    My girls are 7 months old. One of my chickens flew into the backyard today, and when I tried to coral her, she had quite a bit of energy, was running all over the place. I noticed that periodically though she keeps falling to the ground. I have been watching her, and she is walking around and eating. She has walked a good distance without falling. She is vaccinated against mareks. I did notice that their corn (treats) had mold in it. I threw it out, but I know they ate some. She isn't constantly falling, but I am worried about her. What should I do?

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably got exhausted when you tried to coral her and when she was running. How is she now?

3. KerenR

KerenR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    She has been asking around eating. I noticed her laying down, but they do that sometimes. Do I need to do anything about the moldy corn, or are they fine?

I have noticed that when I change their water out, that there is sometimes a bit of green on the bottom. Should I be adding something like oil of oregano or lemon essential oil to their water?

4. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no expert by any means, but will just quote to you what I've been told about the water situation. Some say that adding some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water will help keep it clean and non slimy, but I would think that if you don't have an automatic watering jug, that you should probably change their water daily. You could go to a smaller watering thing, like a large cool whip bowl or something like that if they are not drinking that much, and that way it would be easier and less waste of water to just change it daily to keep it clean, however, some swear on using the Apple Cider Vinegar in the water always anyway for all the time. You can look it up in the threads or ask or maybe someone will come on and comment about it to tell you how much to add. I add about 2 TB spoons to a gallon when I do it, but I don't do it all the time, just sometimes. I change mines waters daily or at least every other day if for some reason I don't have a chance that day. Hope someone that is more knowledgeable will comment for you. Good luck with your chick! She probably was just tired out and stressed too from being scared. I don't think the green in the bottom of the water would create that problem, but I could be wrong.

5. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Disinfect their whole waterer and get all the green stuff out. And yes get new corn toss the moldy corn

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If this is related at all to anything she ate or drank it would be the moldy corn rather then the water. It may be something else completely.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    The moldy corn is a HUGE red flag, to me. This is where I would start your investigation into what is wrong with your hen. Get rid of that corn! Make sure to discard it in a place where they can't get to it.
    Moldy corn is a known problem and a producer of aflatoxins.
    Most of the aflatoxin problems on corn are caused by Aspergillus flavus, and the most potent toxin produced by this mold is called aflatoxin B1.

Quote: Source:http://www.mycotoxins.info/myco_info/animpy_sr.html

Quote: http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/mould_infections.html

8. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I agree, that the moldy corn might be to blame. As far as the "green" in the water pan- I bleach out all of my waterers once a week to keep them clean. A splash of apple cider vinegar also will help, and is good for the chickens as well.

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    The dose for organic apple cider vinegar in the water (use the kind with the Mother in it) is 1 TBSP per gallon. You don't want to make it so strong that they might not drink it. It does help keep the water clean, is believed to act as a natural antibiotic, and has other properties that help to make the egg shells harder and boost immunity.

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I don't think the green algae stuff in the waterer, if that's what you're talking about, is a big deal. Look at what chickens eat and drink when they are free ranging. But the vinegar will help keep it at bay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by