PLease help with my first Broody Silkie !!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Miz Mary, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    She has been sitting on the nest yesterday and today ...... I will let her hatch a few ......
    Do I need to isolate her from the flock ? She is in the main house.... I put food/ water near by ......
    What is thier temprament ? She seems quiet and sleepy .....

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I love broody hens!! They basically sit and stare for three weeks, and having the food and water near is good. She'll manage the rest. If your flock is friendly and she won't get picked on or forced off the nest (they all LOVE the broody nests) then she should be fine. Let her have 4 or 5, so if some don't hatch she'll have a few. Also, mark the start date on the eggs in sharpie, as pencil will get rubbed off and you need to know which eggs are incubating, as everyone will lay in her nest when she gets up to stretch her legs.Here are a few pointers.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Good advice-marking the eggs, and put some more under there and food and water available near by. I have 8 silkie hens, 7 are brooding. Last time my 2 silkie chicks had 3 moms. I would not separate the silkies from eachother, just from other chickens.

4. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I put mine in a pen by their selves. This way there are no new eggs added. And when the chicks hatch out I don't have to worry about the roosters hurting them. Or other moms stealing them. My game hen will take other chickens babies if left in the pen with her.

5. Miz Mary

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    I have 2 silkies, 2 sebrights and a MilleFluer D'Uccle Roo in the pen ....... Mille Fleur Silkie babies hopefully !!! Will the chicks be fine in this pen with the other bantams ?!?!

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:I love broody hens!! They basically sit and stare for three weeks, and having the food and water near is good. She'll manage the rest. If your flock is friendly and she won't get picked on or forced off the nest (they all LOVE the broody nests) then she should be fine. Let her have 4 or 5, so if some don't hatch she'll have a few. Also, mark the start date on the eggs in sharpie, as pencil will get rubbed off and you need to know which eggs are incubating, as everyone will lay in her nest when she gets up to stretch her legs.Here are a few pointers.

x2 Good advice [​IMG]

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:This is your first broody, so I'd isolate her just in case. You don't want a bad experience on your first try.

Quiet and sleepy? Maybe she is just lethargic or sick- I had a pullet die in the nest box in the fall, I thought that she was laying her first egg. Broodies will be puffing, growling and pecking at you. If not, than there is another reason.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Good point, as usually they do the growling thing, although this depends on their personality. I had one who was a pet and never objected at all when I reached under her. The next broody taught me what growling and puffing up mean.

I hope she's broody and not sick.

The isolating thing is up to you. I've done it both ways; they do best with a little more supervision if you leave her with the flock, but then you have chicks who are integrated from day one.

Here's some more lit on broodies in case you're interested:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

9. Miz Mary

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    Thanks everybody for all the links and info - I AM reading them all !!! I got up early today , concerned she was sick too...... went out .... she puffed up and made a noise, (I guess is growling but it was NOT a scary growl ! ) ........ I made sure she ate a little .....it got down to 18 degrees last night ... had to defrost the waters !!! This is SO exciting !!! I'm gonna be a Chikn Granny !!

10. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Congrats on your broody Miz Mary! I can't wait for my first broody! I'm hoping one of mine will go Broody this year! Do EE's or Welsummers go Broody ever?

-Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by