Please help with my 'Question about My Sultans'

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kathi's sultan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. kathi's sultan

kathi's sultan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2010
    Burleson, TX
    I have 2 Sultans 1 is 4 w/o and other is 9 w/o and I have noticed they have different nostrils. The 9 w/o has smaller nostrils than the 4 w/o.

4 w/o
    [​IMG]
    4 w/o
    [​IMG]

9 w/o
    [​IMG]
    different view 9 w/o
    [​IMG]

Can you tell sex by their nostrils?

Any help would be good.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    kathi's sultan :

I have 2 Sultans 1 is 4 w/o and other is 9 w/o and I have noticed they have different nostrils. The 9 w/o has smaller nostrils than the 4 w/o.
    Can you tell sex by their nostrils?

Any help would be good.

??? What do you mean by 4 w/o or 9 w/o?​

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Think they mean week old... I've never heard of sexing by nostril size. Did they come from the same place?

4. kathi's sultan

Sep 24, 2010
    Burleson, TX
    Yes I mean weeks old (w/o), and they both came from Ideal Poultry. 1 is older than the other, the youngest has larger nostrils than older 1.

5. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I wasn't able to tell my Sultans apart until about 4 mos old....I'm pretty sure nostril size isn't a sign one way or the other

6. kathi's sultan

Sep 24, 2010
    Burleson, TX
    Ok Thank You, I was just curious if the difference in their nostrils meant anything.
    Mel is 9 wks old and a Standard and Sunshine is 4 wks old now and suppose to be a Bantam.

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    kathi's sultan :

Mel is 9 wks old and a Standard and Sunshine is 4 wks old now and suppose to be a Bantam.

That could be your explanation right there. I don't know but I suspect that the hatchery bantams are much closer to the breed standards than large fowl. Many large fowl breeds have been bred to be more production than ornamental.​

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That could be your explanation right there. I don't know but I suspect that the hatchery bantams are much closer to the breed standards than large fowl. Many large fowl breeds have been bred to be more production than ornamental.

Very true.

The nostril you're noticing with the weird upward curve, like a peaking point, is what they are supposed to have. The difference doesn't say anything of sex though.

9. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    So far it is looking like two roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by