1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help with my rooster breed!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FarmGirl725, Apr 9, 2016.

1. FarmGirl725

FarmGirl725 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    I have never seen a rooster like this or since. And I don't know what kind he is. He has green legs. I have one of his Xgreat grand son. His Xgreat grandmother was a blue egg laying, white feathered Bantom. The rooster below is the product of many different breeds of hens, but all with the same gene rooster. If any one has any information on the rooster breed, that would be great. Also, I had some hens from the Bantom Grandmother, who all laid green or blue eggs, but was pure white or had brown speckles on the wings. The newest hen that I have left from the strain of this chicken, is pure black with black legs. This black hen lays green eggs. I will post a picture of the black hen tomorrow. And I have some chicks from the black hen and the rooster in the bottom photo. Also will post some of them too.

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hi there! For future reference, a better place to post this would be the the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum.

Looks to be a Beardless Easter Egger.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Easter eggers indeed!

4. FarmGirl725

Mar 31, 2016
    Ohio
    I have never seen colors like these before. I got the original rooster in a selection of Strait Run farm variety. Plus the white bantom hen already laid blue eggs. Whenever I had a male and female chick from these two, the hen was always pure white with light blue legs, and the rooster chicks were always this color with green legs. Thank you though.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

The color is a duckwing, and can be found in several different breeds or crossbreeds. My multi-mixed boy Eric has similar color, but different legs and comb....

[​IMG]

I agree your boy looks like an Easter Egger.

6. FarmGirl725

Mar 31, 2016
    Ohio
    No matter what breed he is, he's my favorite type of rooster. I just wanted to see what kind he is. Is it possible for one to produce a sex-linked chicken by chance? Or feather-sex chickens? All three of these chicks have the same mother and father, they hatched from green eggs. The majority of the chicks hatched from green eggs are black and have really small wing feathers. Could this be a form of the above sexing methods??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Depending on his genetics, you may be able to put him over silver hens and get sex linked chicks, females gold and males silver. But black doesn't come into play with that, no sex linkage there. Feather sexing also requires knowing the line of both the rooster and hen, so you're a no-go there. You'll just have to ride things out for the six-ish week mark.

8. FarmGirl725

Mar 31, 2016
    Ohio
    The black and brown chicks are only a day apart. Would their wing feathers be that big of a difference in a day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by