Please Help With New chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hobobrando, Apr 19, 2008.

1. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Hi I just got my first chicks. They are eating, peeping sleeping an pooping. I guess I underestimated how much they would poop. I have 2 of them one is a Barred Rock and the other I am not sure about. I seem to have a pasting up issue but instead of the poop clogging the vent it is getting stuck in there feathers in the back. I tried to remove the poop with a wet washcloth but had no luck I can't just pull it oof either because it will pull the feathers out I think. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Try a Q-tip soaked with olive oil or some vaseline..

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    YEA BRANDON YOU GOT CHICKS. when did you get them I thought TSC was sold out.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  4. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    I put mine under warm running water from the sink faucet (just the butt) then dry their little behinds. Works great and it seems like just once or twice and they are all done.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have 21 chicks, so things may be a little different than just having 2, but...
    I check my chick's bottoms daily and if the poop that gets on their bottoms is not covering the vent I do nothing. Later on, a few hours later, I can check the same chick and the poop will be gone. I don't worry about it unless it's covering the vent; which I've only had happen to one chick, one time.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I rinse their tiny bottoms under a slow stream of water in my kitchen sink. When it finally loosens and comes off dry them well. Trim the butt fluff if you can. Put a little vaseline around the area to keep the poop moving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by