Please help with Rooster Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicks 5, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Chicks 5

Chicks 5 New Egg

Jul 9, 2007
    Hesperia, Michigan
    I am trying to raise some poultry for the table... I inadvertantly (did not reasearch like I should have) recieved 50 roosters (they are about 11 weeks old)...all was going well until the night before last. When I went out to water and feed them in the morning one had been canibalized. It happened again the next morning and this morning nothing...all was fine. What would cause this kind of behavior? What can I do to keep it from happening again.
    Thank you for your help.
    Chicks 5

2. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    OMG...50 roos?..are you sure? thats gonna be a huge head ache..

.....I am going to go on a wild guess. a big fight happened..a few of the roos died. Chickens with their love of pecking at random stuff, saw the blood and decided to peck at it. They will eat anything, so they decided they would eat what they could of the dead roos. I had a hen that had a scab the size of a 50 cent piece and the other chickens wouldnt leave the spot alone. We had to keep her from the other chickens so it could heal right.

about the only thing you can do...is start them early for the table. they are going to fight, and depending on the breeds you may have many of dead roos in your yard. or seperate them

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

50 roos?? Wow! Are they crowded? If they are feeling crowded, they will peck each other, and turn to cannibalism. Might just be that there are way too many roos together. I dont know....might be time to start with the larger ones....but they are probably pretty small still. You might need to add a few different water and feed stations. For 50, I would say you will need at least 5 stations...to keep them seperated some.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, with 50 roos, give them lots of space, plenty of feeders, and a good number of hiding spots for the lower ranked ones. I assume these are not cornish crosses so I wish you the best of luck with butchering them all... for the a) tiny amount of meat on them b) tough soup/slow cooker birds.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with justasnak, lots of feeders, once they taste blood they wont stop cause its yummy to them!!

6. Chicks 5

Chicks 5 New Egg

Jul 9, 2007
    Hesperia, Michigan
    Jezzebelle,
    Yea, it sounds pretty dumb dosen't it...to late now but next time I will know better.

Justasnak,
    Well, I had thought of that but pushed it aside because I check on them at least 3 times a day and no problems but when I go out in the morning there is not much left of them.

Silkiechicken,
    If they are butchered young why will they be tough..

Bantymum,
    Ok. that makes 3 in a row that all agree... I will give it a try...more room...more water and feed stations...and a few places to hide.

Thanks to all of you for your replys...I really appreciate it.

Chick 5

7. silkiechicken

Oh, I meant to put "or" between the two. Little meat or old and tough.

8. Chicks 5

Chicks 5 New Egg

Jul 9, 2007
    Hesperia, Michigan
    Silkie Chicken
    Thanks...at least now I know they won't be little and tough...LOL...boy my heart sunk for a while there. Will surely know better next time.
    Linda

9. silkiechicken

If you butcher over 14 or so weeks, be sure to let them "relax" in the fridge overnight. If they are even older, I find that a night and a half is even better. Even the youngest bird cooked right after butchering will be tough. They aren't sweet corn :p

10. Chicks 5

Chicks 5 New Egg

Jul 9, 2007
    Hesperia, Michigan
    Wow...thanks so much for telling me...I have no clue yet as to what I am doing...if I have them processed then do I let them "relax" in the fridge before they are frozen or after. You don't know how much I appreciate your help.
    Thanks Again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by