texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
) What type of bird , age and weight.
Turken, 2 mo, very thin

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Chick has neck held way back. Legs are almost straight out and cannot walk. Chick is very alert, but sleeps a lot. Cannot sit up or walk, just kind of lays on side or I prop it up.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No signs of physical trauma.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea what caused this. Last night everything was fine, this morning found chick this way.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
I have not seen chick eat. I feed all my chicks Purina Start and Grow til they are 17 wks old. I offered some vital and sugar water through a dropper. Got chick to take a few drinks.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
When I washed chick off with some warm water it pooped. It was a little runny, not bad.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Sugar water with some vi-tal. Isolated with lamp.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I don't plan on taking chick to vet. If I can't help it, well, I don't know at this point.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Chick is in brooder that is about 4 ft wide and 3 ft deep with other chicks. Flooring is a little bigger than hardware cloth. Chicks have access to clean water and chick starter at all times

Last edited:
Chick just lays there and cannot walk. Legs are almost stiff, but will bend. All toes bend.

4047_turken_i.jpg

You can see the legs are stiff.

4047_turken_ii.jpg

Oh my! This looks serious to me. You're doing what I was going to recommend with the vi-tal. Perhaps you can moisten the feed to get it eating, and maybe some hardboiled egg. I'm thinking neurological, or a very vitamin defiency. Chick was fine yesterday? Could it have been pecked on the head?

Honestly, I have no idea what would cause those symptoms, but hoping this bump will help find an answer!!

Best of luck!!

Hang on chick-a-dee!! We're trying to find help!!!

Is it cold to touch? I'm fearing this chick might not make it. It looks bluish in color. Was there any blood in the pooh? Does it look like it's constipated? Or wondering if it's because the feathers are wet, or whatever at the vent. The vent appears to be protruding in the pic. Is it?

Well, chick is still doing the same. It might be a little better this AM. I got her to drink almost a whole dropper of Vi-Tal and sugar water. I'm going to off her some hard boiled quail eggs that I have in the fridge. I did see it poo and it seems normal. I had her under the light in the bathroom. Somehow, the kitty got in there and was sleeping peacefully under the heat lamp also watching over the chick............
ep.gif
Luckily, the kitty did not care about the chick.

Does anyone else have any ideas? When I hold the chick it's like it tries to push back against me. What would cause such a vitamin defienciency (sp)? This chick is on the same thing as everyone else?

Anyone else?

No, the vent is not protruding. I think it's the way I was holding it.

Last edited:
The blueness of her skin really bothers me. My turken is always bright pink or red. It almost reminds me of a heart condition and not enought blood flow. I wish we had a retired vet on this forum.
sad.png

Does anyone else have any idea what is going on here? Chick drinks fro the dropper when I offer. I have Vi-Tal and sugar water in the dropper. I did get her to eat some hard boiled quail egg. She still can't walk or stand. I don't know what else to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom