Please help with specifics - using Valbazen and Safeguard

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bochacheeps, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Bochacheeps

Bochacheeps Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    I would like to have a solid worming routine for my flock as it seems waiting for the "signs" of infestation leads to too much stress on the girls. After reading many posts I have come to the conclusion that Valbazen and Safeguard will be my weapons of choice. If I start worming with Valbazen, do I then worm with Valbazen again in 10 days or then use safeguard and then 10 days later use Safeguard or Valbazen again? Do i use them one at a time, or together, or one after the other for the full 24 days X 2 . I would like to get the effectiveness offered by both products. My flock currently has worms. And should I keep the kids away from the birds and their free ranging area for the 24 days? do parasites/worms transfer to humans? Thank you all for your past help and shared knowledge!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Use valbazen first. It slowly kills worms over a period of several days preventing toxic dead worm overload in the chickens system. Ten days later, you can follow up with valbazen or safeguard...it doesnt matter which one you use. Valbazen kills all types of worms that chickens get, so does safeguard... except tapeworms. There is a 24 day withdrawal period from start to finish. You can give the eggs to your dogs if you wish.
    Poultry worms are not transmittable to humans. Practice personal hygiene after handling chickens and any other animals for that matter.
    Valbazen (albendazole) effectiveness in this link:
    http://japr.fass.org/content/16/3/392.full.pdf

2 people like this.
  3. Bochacheeps

Bochacheeps Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    Thank you dawg53! The advice and link were exactly what I needed to know. In your experience how do Valbazen and Safeguard compliment each other. Have you ever experienced resistant parasites? During treatment what is the ideal day to do a total coop cleaning and dusting to help prevent re-infestation (first few days, after 10 days or ?). Thank you again for supporting your community. I am grateful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by