Please help with the sex of my silkie bantam

Careta

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Hi Everybody,

I'm really hoping someone can help me as I'm really confused as to whether my silkie bantam is a rooster or hen. This is the first time I have had chickens and they are lovely!

I've attached a picture. She is 3.5-4 months old. No crowing but long and loud clucking, I think. She has long blue wattles and the walnut comb. Her legs seem very far apart which I heard means a girl. She is quite bold and will challenge the other chickens but will run away from strange humans and noises.

I'm very confused and calling her 'she' in this post because that's what we thought but I'm not so sure.

No sign of spurs yet.

Here's a photo
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/63311_waddles.jpg

If anyone can please help as we are allowed hens but not roosters in our area...

Sorry, I think that it's a little Rooster.
idunno.gif

just by the picture looks like a little boy. But looks don't necessarily mean anything. Its too young to sex. You'll be able to tell closer to 6 months. Crow or lay an egg:)

You guys are absolutely right. 'She' crowed today.

I'm so upset as we're not alllowed to keep roosters.

However, my question is now, what should I do? To explain, we have two silkies (one rooster now) and an Australorp. They are about 3.5/4 months. The place we got them will swap our rooster for a hen.

My question is, should we get a day old and hope the silkie hen adopts or should we get a full grown one. I am worried about acceptance into my little flock.

This is my first time with chickens and I really don't know which is the best way to go....

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Full grown. Even silkies will kill a chick if they are introduced to it as adults & you will need to make sure the new one is a hen.

I have a similar issue. My Silkie "hen" has started to crow. I know that some hens can crow but are there other specific things I should look for to be certain she is in fact a he? S/he has this very bright blue on his/her cheeks, maybe that's indicitive of something? It is very bright, I though s/he got paint on him/her from the walls of the coop. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Also This silkie looks nothing like the pictures. No fluffly head, and it's about the size of my other 5 month old chicks (americauna, cochin and delaware).

Back
Top Bottom