Please Help with turkey chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sharvc, Oct 15, 2015.

1. sharvc

sharvc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    Texas
    Friends, I have been searching the Internet for weeks for help. You are my last hope. I found a post about a duck that was fairly similar but not exactly. On September 11, I purchased 3 Bourbon Red Chicks. As they approached 2 weeks old, one began falling backwards and I thought maybe it had injured it's leg. I read everything o could find and tried to help, but soon noticed it wasn't actually the leg, it was balance. The little chick acted drunk and continued to grow worse. Then about a week later another one of the chicks started showing the same behavior. At this point I called the feed store who was gracious enough to call the hatchery. I administered antibiotics given by the feed store... Who thought maybe the chicks had got too cold because they had no problems and neither did the hatchery.
    At that point the chick began having seizures and long story short, all three ended up sick and died. This was very hard! Now I've had two Royal Palm Chicks that are two weeks old and I have been very careful to be sure they didn't get cold or get around my other chicken babies. I separated the turkeys and the chickens. The only thing is that I feel like the royal palms were exposed to what ever the bourbon reds had because today one of the royal palms has started showing the same symptoms. On the same day I purchased the bourbon reds, I also purchased 2 Ameraucanas and a welsummer. The chickens are doing great and I have put them out in the coop today. I'm so concerned about the little royal palms. And by the way- once in a while they sneeze. Can anyone help? I don't know what else to do. It seems to be a contagious neurological issue... Which scares me for my own health and that of my chickens.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about turkeys but, you can post on the "Turkey thread," and hopefully they can help. I think you also should post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, " thread. in as much detail as possible. I hope they will be able to come up with something and a treatment plan.

3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

I am not familiar with turkeys, sorry.

5. sharvc

sharvc Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you all so much! Since the chicks are all good so far, I believe they are much easier to raise. Although in the past I've has a couple of things with them like a dog getting one. I guess all that just goes with it. But I'm very upset about the turkeys because I've been so successful with the chickens and the turkeys are so sweet and loving and they are beautiful birds. I imagine they would be very fun to raise to full grown and have as pets. I did put the post in the emergency thread. Thank you!!! I was afraid of cross posting, but for sure this IS an emergency!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG]\

I hope you are able to figure out what is going on with your turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by