PLEASE HELP!!! WITH VIDEO!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fingbob, Jan 31, 2013.

1. fingbob

fingbob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2013
    Astoria, Oregon
    Yesterday afternoon my son came in and said that one of the chickens wasn't walking right. He brought her in and I examined her and her left leg did look a little off (limp) but she could move it so I didn't think much of it. Then later when he brought her back in that night, when we were locking them in for the night. He set her on the ground so I could see and he said he found her lying on her back in the coop. I checked her over again and she couldn't stand on her leg. then she fell over almost on her back right in front of me. I tried to pull out her wings to check them and the right one was fine but the left wouldn't move. It was stiff. We gave her some food and water and put her back in the coop for the night (that is were the warming light it). This morning he brought her in and said he found her on her back again. so we put her in a box in the living room with come food and water. She is eating and drinking and looking at us, watching us walk around.

She is a Coochoo Maran and only about 15 weeks old. What is wrong with her? What can I do for her?

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Marek's Disease can cause one-sided paralysis that spreads. Try reading some info on that & see if it sounds applicable.
    Best wishes!

3. fingbob

Jan 31, 2013
    Astoria, Oregon
    Here is video of my poor chicken
    [VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  4. fingbob

Jan 31, 2013
    Astoria, Oregon
    Well she is still alive. Please watch my video and give me some Ideas. That stiff wing and not acting sick is stumping me.

5. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    From the sounds she's making, she seems troubled & worried.

I think Marek's would be a good guess. From what I've read, affected birds don't necessarily seem sickly.
    You can read some threads about Marek's via https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch/?search=mareks&type=all
    There's a brief video of a chicken with a form of Marek's at

6. fingbob

Jan 31, 2013
    Astoria, Oregon
    After day five I asked my husband to take care of herwhile the kids and I were out. I was very sad but I couldn't see her suffer in a box anymore.....

7. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I'm very sorry [​IMG] It must have been so hard. But I think you did the right thing for her & you know she's not suffering now.

8. fingbob

Jan 31, 2013
    Astoria, Oregon
    Thank you for your support! I was just hoping there was another answer. I had to let you know what had happened because I know I would always wonder how it went.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by