Please help with what may be Sour Crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tcbosco1, Mar 21, 2011.

1. tcbosco1

tcbosco1 Out Of The Brooder

My 3 yr old RIR has been acting strangely lately. She hasn't laid an egg in over a year, but for the last two days has been spending day and night in the nest box. She did come down, however, when I let the girls out for "playtime". She didn't seem interested in eating any treats or even scracthing around the yard. She simply stood in one place. Yesterday I picked her up and her crop was "bubbly" and full of liquid. When I touched it, she threw up a brown liquid.

After reading about sour crop on BYC, I turned her upside down and "induced vomiting". What came up was dark brown mush and two whole grubs.
    She was very tired after the vomiting, but a four or five hours later stood up and drank some water. The only poop to come out has been small dribbles of a yellow liquid.

I have read to give her olive oil soaked bread (which she will not eat) and plain yogurt. Does anyone have any advice on how to get her to eat the yogurt?

Does this sound like sour crop? Today her crop is again full of liquid (not as much), but she is much more lively. She protested a bit when I was masaging her crop. There are no hard or lumpy spots in her crop, nor do I feel any grit in there.

Do you think I should inducing vomiting again? Some sites suggest that this could be VERY harmful to the hen and that the stress of the experience could kill her, and should therefore only be done once.

Also, many have suggested obtaining apple cider vinegar (for horses). As I live in a very urban area, I have no idea where I would get that!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. tcbosco1

Any ideas, anyone?

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I would put alittle apple cider vinegar in her water. What grubs did she throw up? Did you give them to her? Are you sure she doesn't have worms? Hopefully someone else can get you more advice.

4. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    All I can suggest is to keep her on water and/or vegetable broth and isolate her from the others. Sounds like you may have loosened up the blockage and she just needs to rest and recover now.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    You can get apple cider vinegar at any store with the yogurt you can put some on a spoon and gently pull on her waddles to get her beak open and pour the yogurt in, I mix yogurt with some scrambled eggs mine eat it up hopefully someone with more experience dealing with this will post.

6. tcbosco1

Thanks for answering!

The grubs she found herself digging in the yard two days ago. Pretty sure it's not worms.

Again, I would not know where to buy the right kind of ACV - I'm told the grocery store variety is no good because it's been pasturized.

I'm really wondering how to get her to eat yogurt. Do I put it in a bowl?

Ditto with the olive oil!

Edit: schellie69 - must have been writing this post as you were leaving yours! Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  7. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Does her crop feel boggy and mushy? Is it enlarged? Is there a sour odor coming from her breath?

I would advise against inducing the chicken to vomit. You are correct, it could kill her.

Do you have any avian vets around you? It could be some sort of infection. It sounds like she is having issues with gastric motility....

Sound like it could be yeast.

It could also be worms.

If she doesn't feel like eating, I would not force it. For now only liquids....

Good luck and keep us posted. Wish I could be more helpful. There is nothing worse than an ill chicken.

Melissa
    www.tillysnest.com

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I would try and pull on her waddles to get her to open her beak then you can pour some food in her mouth that way. I get my acv at a health food store,

9. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I just use regular store bought apple cider vinegar for my birds...egg layers and meaties.

10. Tilly's Nest

Tilly's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Oh, I just noticed that you are near Boston. If you want to make the trip down Cape....

I take my birds to:
    Brewster Veterinarian Hospital

http://www.brewstervethospital.com/

They are very reasonable and 3 of the vets there have chickens!

Good Luck!

Melissa
    www.tillysnest.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by