Please help: Young hen lethargic, strange poo, crop full this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FoxyChicken, Jan 17, 2014.

1. FoxyChicken

FoxyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    Hi folks, I'm really hoping someone can help me with my 35 week old Australorp. She just laid her first egg last Thursday, and has laid a few more since then. The last time I know she laid was this past Tuesday. Yesterday morning I noticed she was lethargic, not really wanting to get off the roost and her poo looked to me like it had some egg yolk in it. When she did get off the roost she was keeping to herself in the corner of the coop. Last night when I got home from work they were all on the roost already and she had some whitish "slime" on her butt feathers, reminded me of egg whites. So I was tossing and turning all night thinking she has a broken egg inside of her. When I went out to check on her this morning she was the last one off the roost again, but I noticed that her crop was still full. I hadn't even thought to check that yesterday morning, so I don't know if it was full then too or not.
    So now I'm just stumped, which doesn't take much because these are my first chickens and this is my first sick one. I'm not even sure which end I should be worried about! I'm hoping somebody out there can please help me help her!!
    Thank you

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    She may have both problems. Did you do an internal examine to see if indeed a broken egg is in there, she would still have shells in there that needs to be cleaned out. Is her crop hard or soft. She could have impacted or sour crop. Has she been dewormed with safeguard and treaded for mites?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She could be egg bound and have sour crop, or she could have an internal infection from a broken egg that is pretty severe. Once they are really sick their crop won't empty fully.

What does the crop feel like?
    Have you seen her actually poop? Is she straining when she poops?

4. okmarge

okmarge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Help me too! I have a lethargic chicken too! I noticed a change in behavior about a week ago. she had stool stuck to her around her vent. I cleaned it off. She looks like she lost weight and now won't eat. I separated her from the rest. She is about 9 months old.
    I wouldn't know about how to check for a broken egg inside her! What other possibilities are there?
    Thanks Marge

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Parasites a possibility, nutritional issues with the food, genetic issues.. So many things are possible.

When is the last time she laid? Is she straining to poop? Is it too hot or too cold?

6. FoxyChicken

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    No, I didn't do an internal exam. I haven't had much time to work with her since it's dark when I leave for work and when I come home. Thank goodness it's Friday! Do I just stick my finger in the vent? Does it need to be lubricated?
    Her crop wasn't rock hard, it was like I could feel the grains. Maybe like a hacky sack texture?
    She's never been wormed or treated for mites.
    When I saw her poo yesterday morning, with the yolky looking stuff, she didn't seem to strain but this morning it looked like she was straining and just a tiny little drop came out. There was yellow runny poo under where she was on the roost last night though.

7. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Yes lubricate your finger and check her. Check this link.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233191/help-broken-egg-inside-hen-shes-really-sick

Edited:
    Heres a link to help determine if she has sour crop or impacted crop. You may need to tube feed water to clear her crop.
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

8. okmarge

okmarge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    well it is too late. She just died. I feel so bad that I didn't do something sooner. I need to not let this happen again. I did notice she was losing weight a while ago. She would roost earlier in the evenings. She did have some poop stuck to her feathers and I would just clean it off. All the hens are laying less this winter so I did not think much of that.
    I wouldn't know how to check a crop.
    I think I feed them OK except for leafy greens. Now that it is winter there isn't any grass clippings to give them. I will add greens to their diet. Also apple cider vinegar in their water.
    I live in the high desert. It has been cold with below zero temp at night for a few nights.

I do give them oyster shell and occasional grit. I also give them scratch daily plus some kitchen left overs.

thanks for your replies.

9. FoxyChicken

Jun 19, 2013
    NE MN
    So sorry for your loss okmarge! [​IMG] I hope I can help mine in time, it's only been two days for her.

pwand, what is a safe lubricant to use? I don't have any KY on hand. Is Vaseline or olive oil okay? Thanks for your help so far by the way. [​IMG]

10. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Sorry for your loss. You might consider doing a necropsy - either sending her to a lab or doing it yourself. Terry at www.hencam.com says she does them herself and learns a lot. I'm sure there are threads on BYC that explain how to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by