PLEASE HELP! young hen limping!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by salt and pepper, Feb 18, 2013.

1. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I have a hen that quite suddenly started limping. She was fine this morning, and now one of her legs is limp. she is still alert, I haven't separated her from the rest of the flock because she freaks out when she is, and I didn't want to stress her more. Also, her eyes are a bright blue. Do you think it's mareks? I had a hen die of it earlier last year. I hope it's not! I examined her leg, and can't find anything wrong with it. Please help!

2. beevolleyball3

beevolleyball3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Back roads of Wisconsin
    maybe there is a piece of glass or something stuck in her foot, examine the foot that is limping it may also have gotten a toenail tore off because one of my roosters got a toenail ripped off and he limps around cause it wont grow back! :( but i think you would have noticed some blood or that it was torn off! Good Luck! hope her leg heals!

3. salt and pepper

I checked her foot as well, and there is nothing. all her toe nails are there as well. I hope she gets better, she is my favorite hen.

4. beevolleyball3

Nov 28, 2012
    Back roads of Wisconsin
    awwe, sorry I couldnt help.... I hope she gets better too.[​IMG]

5. salt and pepper

does it sound like mareks? that's my biggest fear, already went through that. once was enough!

6. beevolleyball3

Nov 28, 2012
    Back roads of Wisconsin
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. salt and pepper

Thank you for the link. I did have a hen die of mareks, and only one leg was paralyzed, but she seems to still have control of the leg, I'll take that as a good sign. now, if it is mareks, will the rest of my flock die of it? also, is it ok that i am leaving her with the rest of the flock?

8. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    Sounds like Marek's. The best thing to do would be to a) cull your whole flock since they are carriers for life or b) keep a closed flock, which means get no more new birds. So sorry. There is no treatment for Marek's as of now.

9. salt and pepper

Well, I can't really do either of those choices. my neighbor has chickens, and half his flock died of mareks. even if I start a new flock, they will just get it from his birds.

10. salt and pepper

I don't think it's mareks. She is very alert, is eating well, and still can walk and use that leg. She probably landed the wrong way and should get better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by