Please HELP! Young Silkie injured!

I left him at night and he's looks the same as yesterday (maybe a little better). I'm going to try and wash the wound off. Should I try getting him to eat? He hasn't tuched any food at all yet. I held up a dish of water to his beak and he drank a little...

lightchick..

You are in expert hands now with Eggcessive..I am off for the night now..it is almost 2.00am here...wishing you and the Silkie chicken the very best of luck...keep updating...I won't sleep well...but will check for any progress when I am online in about 6 hours from now...
Why in world are you awake at 2.00am?!

I've had two of my birds attacked..not silkies, though. Quite traumatic. I've brought them inside, put them in a cat carrier and draped a dark cloth over it until I can get them to the vet. The dark cloth seemed to help them feel safe. But it was warm in the house. It was so reassuring to have a vet check them over and tell me that there were no broken bones, which wounds were serious and which were no big deal. She found wounds I hadn't seen. They are expensive, though. Have you tried calling the owner to see if they'd like you to take him to a vet?

We haven't tried yet. He actually might have eaten because he still is pooping and his crop feels like there's something in it. I washed it again and put some antibiotic on it.
Should I put something in his eyes? I don't have anything chicken to put in them, but we have people eye stuff.

Poor little Silkie guy; he looks pitiful. You said his wound was already scabbed over when you checked it? I wonder if it has been there for a while and has been pecked by the other chickens. It is good that he is drinking some. Try to see if he will eat any scrambled eggs. Offer small amounts at a time to get an idea if he is eating any of it. Do you know if there are any treats that he is used to? You could offer a small amount of a treat with the scrambled egg to encourage him.

I have used human eye saline to rinse a chicken eye. I even read that you can use Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment in the eye (the type without the pain relief ingredient) I used the petroleum jelly based ointment generic equivalent to Neosporin in one of my roosters eyes that was swollen and showed signs of infection and his eye did get better. The prescription antibiotic ointments are petroleum jelly based, and some have the same active ingredients, but I suppose they are super purified.

He seems like he exhausted. I mean you can't keep him awake and moving for more then 30 seconds. I'm trying to give him boiled egg/goat yogurt mash and he just isn't eating! I'll put a drop on his beak, but he doesn't seem to notice it until a pick him up or disturb him in anyway.
I really worried. He got maybe 3 drops of the mash in him... I don't know.

Why in world are you awake at 2.00am?!
Because I was concerned for you and the Silkie Roo...could not leave the site until you had some constructive help..eggsessive has been a godsend.

casportpony has amazing knowledge on tube feeding a sick bird, shall I contact her on your behalf so that she can show you what and how to do this if you wish to get some food into him?

As you are offline at the moment I will pm her and ask that she contact you directly...

I do so hope and pray that the Silkie Roo will survive this....you are wonderful in your attempts to help him get better from whatever it was that attacked him!

Neosporin ointment would be good for the eye. If he isn't eating I would try some electrolyte water, and dip his beak into it giving him time to swallow. Save_A-Chick vitamin/electrolyte packets for the water are at most feed stores such as Tractor Supply. Or you can make electrolytes solution. I certainly hope you can get him to eat a few bites. Here is a link to tube feeding instructions, with more links there to videos:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION from TheChickenChick.com
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Thanks for your concern. I got him to eat like 8 bites of mash (boiled egg, goat yogurt, honey, chick starter and water)
I hope he starts showing improvement soon....

Neosporin ointment would be good for the eye. If he isn't eating I would try some electrolyte water, and dip his beak into it giving him time to swallow. Save_A-Chick vitamin/electrolyte packets for the water are at most feed stores such as Tractor Supply. Or you can make electrolytes solution. I certainly hope you can get him to eat a few bites. Here is a link to tube feeding instructions, with more links there to videos:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION from TheChickenChick.com
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.
Thank you! I think he's hungry, but he can't eat.....do you think he lost a lot of blood before I found him? I don't have any neosporin, but we have eye drops and contact solution.

Back
Top Bottom