Please help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LeafBlade12345, Oct 1, 2015.

1. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everybody! I was wondering how many of you keep quail as a hobby in a relatively small backyard. We don't have room for anymore big pens, so has anyone had any luck with hanging cages, small pens on sand/dirt, or any small enclosures? Thanks in advance! I'd love to see pictures!

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I guess it depends on how many you plan to have. I kept 6 comfortably in a larger sized rabbit hutch.

Tammie[​IMG]

3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Tammie, what kind of quail? I have bobwhite....and will have to separate out some roosters come spring.

4. LeafBlade12345

We want only three or four...how often do you clean their cage? How long does it take? Thanks for the info!

5. Jdunba

Jdunba Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    hi. I also have bobs. I have right now two cages in the summer and one in the winter.

6. Jdunba

Apr 25, 2015
    Didn't finish! One is a rabbit hutch like the photo previously posted. The other is home made. Photo below. I have 3 males and four hens. I spend about 15 minutes per cage on the daily standard clean which includes changing water and feed. I spend 1/2 hr on a deep cage clean done every couple of weeks. [​IMG]

7. Jdunba

Apr 25, 2015
    In the winter all are housed in the same cage. In the spring each make will have his own cage with a hen

8. LeafBlade12345

Interesting! Thank you all for your help, I hope to see more quail!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by