1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    I have a year old Buff named Lily. She is my heart. Yesterday she acted like she didnt feel well,and was very lethargic. After a few hours she went to the nest box and laid a small shell-less egg.then she seemed like her old self. I keep oyster shell available to her I try to feed a minimum amount of scratch and whole oats
    No table scraps. I keep Crumble available in an automatic feeder. She is not crazy about Crumble but she free ranges so I haven't been too awful worried about that. But I don't know why she laid that egg, if it is a symptom of something more serious. I have been finding some of those shell-less eggs in the last couple of months but I have 2 eight month old hens and I thought it might be them getting ready to lay. I am SO WORRIED about her. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Occasionally a hen will lay a shell-less egg. Younger hens are more likely to than older ones. It is possible that a hen could have a problem with her reproductive tract that may lead to problems with soft eggs, but hopefully it was just a glitch and she will be fine.

3. Heron's Nest Farm

Heron's Nest Farm Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Oregon
    Lert us know if she is alright.

I hope it's just a fluke!

4. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    Thank you so much has for answering my concerns. She seems like she feels good now but consistently had diarrhea since that episode. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing that?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by