1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monique amador, Feb 6, 2016.

1. monique amador

monique amador Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    Las vegas
    Hello my name is Monique my partner decided to buy me a baby Peking duckling for Christmas she's 2 months now I have been feeding her the starter feed and well I'm having issues she only poos out water so I read that if I gave her rice it would make it harder didn't want to feed her too much and well now it's green and still watery please I need help with my 1st duck !!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @monique amador Welcome to BYC

Are you still feeding her starter also? ducklings need alot of nutrients and Pekins really do they grow super fast. So rice is not a balanced diet and if uncooked isn't going to help with liquid poo which is pretty normal for ducks anyway. They just drink alot of water. Green poo can mean different things from feeding greens or from not processing their feed normal I'd get some bird probiotics and start using them in her water to start with using direction on label, and brewers yeast to go over her feed. 1Tab to 1 cup of feed Brewers yeast will give her the extra niacin she needs for strong legs and brain function and the probiotics will give her good bacteria in her digestive trac. If you feel she is sick and you can afford it a good vet can make a diagnosis. They always need water deep enough to clean out their nares and to help wash down their feed. Any other symptoms she is having can she walk good and acting normal in every other way good appetite? And at 8 weeks old she needs to stop eating starter and go on to either an all flock or grower.

This is for new ducklings but there maybe something here that will help
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. monique amador

Jan 26, 2016
    Las vegas
    No we cook rice for her and we Waite till it's cold to give it to her, yeah we give her starter food in the morning and rice in mid day and starter at night she loves to eat!!! Lol she walks normal all her yellow feathers are gone now her white ones are out, she's overal a really good duckslthough I can tell when she is upset at me or my partner hehehe she does like to nibble a lot is that normal?? Do they use toys?? I put a Daisy Duck stuffed toy and she loves it but anything else I can give her

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    A non breakable mirror is a nice thing to give them so they can have a buddy when they are only children. And if you decide to get her a buddy down the road she'll know that she is a duck because she'll know she looks like a duck. Toys you may try some toys for Parrots they would probably be large enough she couldn't swallow them. If you have time a pic would be nice too. [​IMG]Nibbling is normal that is how they learn so if she bites hard you need to teach her that is off limits, its similar to a puppy they want to nibble too when cutting teeth. You can tell her no bite while holding her bill shut gently or let out a loud OUCH that may get her attention. If she doesn't quit try putting her in time out.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes a duck can get impacted in their digestive tract. If she is eating something other than boughten feed, she needs to have access to grit.

If a vet is possible, I would take her in. Otherwise, I'd put just a quarter teaspoon of coconut oil in her rice, and start giving her free choice grit.

Is she getting any oyster shell?

At two months of age she needs to be on a grower ration that meets the needs of a duck her age.

I would also look into getting poultry vitamins (it is a few dollars for a 4 ounce packet - that will last a long long time for one duck) and putting them in her water according to directions once or twice a week for a month or two.

I give my ducks access to food with water 24/7. Does she have access to water with her food always?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. monique amador

Jan 26, 2016
    Las vegas
    I have a question
    Can I trim my ducks nails??? Her feet are getting really sharp

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You have to be very careful not to get the quick they bleed alot from getting their nails clipped to close or from a nail breaking. very tips is all I'd do. I have Muscovy who have very sharp claws and have never clipped their claws

8. monique amador

Jan 26, 2016
    Las vegas
    What if I were to file them ?? Like the tips of her nails

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by