Please Help!

krystine819

In the Brooder
May 5, 2016
Please help. I just went to check on my broody hens who are laying on eggs that are on about day 18 or 19. I found an egg cracked open with a fully developed chick inside still attached to the membrane and the yolk. I must have caught it just in time because it was still moist. I hurried and grabbed it and brought it inside and since i don't have an incubator, i placed it in a dish (with the egg shell, membrane, yolk) with a warm wet cloth and put plastic wrap over the top with some air holes. i then put a heat lamp on it and already the plastic wrap is starting to fog up. Im pretty certain that the chick isn't going to make it because i think i once read that if a chick leaves the egg without fully absorbing the yolk they will die. I just wonder if there is absolutely anything i can do to maybe have even the smallest chance of saving this little baby or if it just being out of the shell at all without its yolk means it is suffering?

Please help. I just went to check on my broody hens who are laying on eggs that are on about day 18 or 19. I found an egg cracked open with a fully developed chick inside still attached to the membrane and the yolk. I must have caught it just in time because it was still moist. I hurried and grabbed it and brought it inside and since i don't have an incubator, i placed it in a dish (with the egg shell, membrane, yolk) with a warm wet cloth and put plastic wrap over the top with some air holes. i then put a heat lamp on it and already the plastic wrap is starting to fog up. Im pretty certain that the chick isn't going to make it because i think i once read that if a chick leaves the egg without fully absorbing the yolk they will die. I just wonder if there is absolutely anything i can do to maybe have even the smallest chance of saving this little baby or if it just being out of the shell at all without its yolk means it is suffering?
If it hasn't or doesn't bleed out from the membranes being ripped away, and the yolk doesn't get ruptured, there's a slight chance it can make it. The yolk color looks a little off to me, but it could just be the picture. I'd get a thermometer in there and make sure the temp stays about 99-100. I'd keep the damp towel under her too and leave her attached however she is to the egg. I don't think I would put the plastic wrap over it though. If it doesn't bleed out and can absorb the yolk before it gets ruptured, there is the slightest chance. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope, but I would definitely give it every chance you can.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom