Please help

Dresden

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
We have just gone out to our coop to close for the night and have found our naked neck chick who is 5 weeks old like this, she cannot lift her head, she is curling her neck all the way arround and facing upside down and is walking backwards... these are our first ever chicks and we dont know whats happened to her,

Im certainly no expert, but pending feedback from those in the know, I'd suggest giving it nutri-drench (vitamin supplement, I believe) for the time being.

All the best
CT

Sorry your chick is ill. Search wry neck treatment in the search bar. She will need vitamin support...this is caused by deficiency of vitamin E, B and selenium. The selenium is needed in order to absorb the vitamin E. This CAN be a very quick fix if you can start treatment quickly. Is she able to eat and drink on her own?

No she isnt eating or drinking, at the moment i am trying to get her to drink from my fingers while hubby goes to the store for suplys

If you can hold her and very gently raising her head up to a more normal position and support there you can place a couple drops of water at a time on her beak and it will dribble in and she should swallow it. If you are unable to find poultry vitamins you can use liquid children's vitamin (polyvisol) WITHOUT iron as well as squirt a vitamin E capsule into her beak. Wishing you well.

Thank you for all your replies . She was given vitamin e and selenium this morning, we dripped it onto her beak and she swallowed it and she is already showing signs of getting better it would seem. She has managed to eat and drink on her own. and her head is straightening out a little . We are keeping her inside and away from the other girls , When should be put her back in with them? they are all only 7 or 5 weeks old and dont want her to become outcast from the group.

From my own experience she will need a calm environment for a few days. Too much excitement can cause her symptoms to flare up. Give her a bit to catch up on her nourishment and if you feel she is strong enough then reintroduce her and watch for a while to ensure she is holding her own. I would recommend continuing her vitamin treatment for one week after the last sign of wry neck is gone. These guys can relapse so don't be discouraged if she seems to get worse again. Just keep doing what you're doing. Very happy to hear she's improving :) good job

I have had a similar issue once. Its called Wry neck and you can give Polyvisol by mouth and in the water. Its a vitamin supplement you can find it in the baby formula department at any grocer.

We have been unable to find Polyvisol at either of our local Walmart or Walgreen's, Going to try again tomorrow at some other stores. She is having Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and vitamin supplement as well as the vitamin E capsule and selenium mixed with scrambled egg with apple sauce. She seems to have problem with drinking as she is unable to look up or put her head back to get the water to go back in the throat, it just drips out again, although i am sure some of it is getting back there, I have been putting the apple sauce mixed with egg to help with her hydration.

Is milk alright to give? I have heard that they cannot digest it well.

Today was not a good day for Twinkle as she spent most of the day having spasms and her head was turned all the way around, its so upsetting to see her like this.

When she is having a spasm is it best to leave her to it? or to try and get her to straighten back out?

She being kept in a plastic tote in the spare room, paper towels on the floor and a soft blanket as her sleeping area, food and water cups have been placed in a wooden plank so that they are flushed with the wood, so she does not have to try to lift her neck to get food and water and cannot tip them over. and then she has a towel laid across the top to keep her partly in the dark so she can relax, is there anything else i can be doing to help her?

So many questions, thank you those who have already replied to me before on this post, you have been amazing with your help.

Back
Top Bottom