Please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kefrmz01, Jun 13, 2016.

1. kefrmz01

kefrmz01 New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Any advice will help. Gonna keep it light : I recently came along a deserted duck egg , I took it in & not even 30 minutes later it hatched . Looks healthy but from what I can tell it doesn't look like it's been drinking/eating any of the water or food I've put out . Also , it's been about 15 hours since it hatched & it barely walks . It does more of a crawl . I'm pretty new to this given that the only pet I've had is a husky . Is that normal for a duckling ??

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Hi and Welcome! Let's start with some basics on ducklings so you can make sure you're giving this little one the best chance to make it through. Ducklings need heat. 90-95° for their first week so you'll need a heat lamp or always on heating pad in order to keep this little one comfortable.

When ducklings hatch, they do so just after absorbing the yolk from their egg! This is one of my favorite things about egg development! They don't develop from the yolk, that's there as a food source for their first day or so outside the egg! That means it's not unusual that the little one wouldn't be eating, but you're not out of the woods yet! You need to show the duckling where food and water is. I do this a few times with each duckling until I'm sure everyone knows where food and water is.

Not walking may not really be an issue right now. The duckling is still very young, and hatching is sometimes very tiring.

Ducklings tend to be stressed if raised alone, so you might want to either look for a wildlife rehabberto take the duckling or look for another duckling to raise if you want to get into duck keeping.

Keep us updated, and let us know if there are any follow up questions. Knowing what kind of duck it is might be good too, post a photo!

3. kefrmz01

kefrmz01 New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

Only a few hours later & its walking , swimming , drinking & eating fine . I've been reading up on what they can & can't eat . I was actually thinking of making like a mix of veggies & oats . Thanks for the help ! Any idea how to tell if it's a male or female? I haven't gotten a heat lamp yet but I've been boiling water, dipping a small towel in it , & then putting it under another towel . I switch it out almost every 30 min . It's quite a burden when night comes but eh can't complain . havent decided on a name yet so if you have any recommendations , I'm open . Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by