Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken-lady94, Jun 23, 2016.

1. chicken-lady94

chicken-lady94 New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Hello!
    We have a black sex link hen and are having some issues. She seems happy and is eating normally and associating with the rest of the flock. We have noticed a large mass growing on her hind end, it is red and the feathers are skimpy. What could this be? And how do we fix it?

Also, we have one hen that is laying eggs without shells every couple of weeks, but are not certain if it is her or not.

2. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    about the mass on your chicken, could i see any images? it would help a lot. And about your hen who lays eggs without shells...well hens have bad days just like every one else. That will come out in her eggs. If you are still worried, She might just be stressed.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC Chicken-lady94. Some hens have back ends that stick out more, and it they are feather-picked by other chickens, it may look more prominent, catch droppings causing a clump of poo. There are also some hens that have growths under the vent, that look like a big ball or mass, and can be a hernia or cyst, or even cancer. I have a hen with a very large red mass under her vent, that is very soft, and has no feathers from others pecking her. She lays an egg about once a week. One other person had a hen like this recently, and their hen's mass ruptured. Unfortunately as the hen was dying, the other chickens were found pulling out her intestines. Please post a picture of your hen's mass.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  4. chicken-lady94

chicken-lady94 New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. chicken-lady94

chicken-lady94 New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Thank you both so much! That makes so much sense. I have been trying to post pictures, but it has been giving me issues. I hope this works. I hope she's just getting pickied on a little bit and is fine. I hope this picture posts.

6. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    i am sorry but i don't have any more advice! i suggest a book called "The Chicken Health Handbook". you may want to get book 1 and 2! i only have the second addition, but it has helped a lot! it is full of diseases, their treatments, and symptoms.
    hope this helps!
    ~Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by