1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hebbiegurl, Jun 30, 2016.

1. hebbiegurl

hebbiegurl New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    I am new to BYC but I have referred to it for answers before, it's a great place for us Chicken Lovers, Thank you all
    I have a 5-6 yr road island red who is wobbly and can not stand or hold her weight, she is eating but only if I feed her
    Her Comb is pale also, after 5-7 days I had to put her down she was getting worse
    Now I have another hen doing the exact same thing I have never had any problems befor I have never wormed, had no need to, I'm thinking coccidiosis, but all my other girls 30 are fine
    Someone said merks but she's not parolized she can move her wings and legs
    I can not figure it out.
    [​IMG]I can't watch her fight and loose again

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is it hot where you live? Make sure that she is getting plenty of fluids, and add some electrolytes to the water. It certainly won't hurt to treat for coccidiosis with some Corid in the water, but a local vet could look at a few fresh droppings, and tell you if there was cocci or worms. Valbazen is very good for worming--1/2 ml given orally, and repeat in 10 days.

3. hebbiegurl

hebbiegurl New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Hello, Thank you , I have been giving electrolytes and Vits, I just started the Corid and Worm med, Wezin, Uh, I just wish she could talk to me.....I did the same for my other hen this happen to except I'm doing Corid this time, Please pray for her, Its so upsetting
    If anyone else has had anything like this, Please I would love to hear your opinion
    God Bless My Fettered Friend.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that she drinks plenty of the medicated water.

5. hebbiegurl

hebbiegurl New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you for your help, She only drinks and eat when I give it to her, I give with a syringe :(( but she does take it :))

6. Hens2Horses

Hens2Horses New Egg

Jul 1, 2016
    I had the same problem, but with a preemy. For the first few days the only way I could feed her was to open her beak and put food down her throat, which I hated to do. I had to put her inside after my hen stopped taking care of her and the poor chick was half dead from the cold (she hatched early spring). I did little research and gave her some sugar water. That perked her up a lot. She started eating and drinking on her own. Soon she had a full body of feathers and was out free ranging with her mama hen :)

Hope your chick gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by