Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by homestead 101, Jul 5, 2016.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I have a hen that hatched out 4 chicks,they are 11 days old. She has been taking them to a small coop iny yard to sleep at night, but today she took them to the main coop to sleep in the corner of it. I have 7 other hens that sleep in that coop. Is it safe to let her stay, or should I move her to the smaller Coop?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she has normally been a resident of that coop, it is very normal for her to begin introducing the chicks to their new home. She will most likely protect them, and they will stay close to her. She will begin to take them outside to find food and water, and eventually show them how to roost in their new coop.

3. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I am going to let her stay in there. She has been running around the yard with her chicks, and all the other chickens have not bothered her. If they do come close, she jumps up on them and pecks them. She is very pertective. She has been one of my very first chickens, so they all know her.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She sounds like she is a good broody hen and mother. Isn't it fun to watch them teach their chicks all they need to do to survive? I love when they start roosting under mama's wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by